Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-744
Ubuntu LTS

Ok let me start by saying that I am very disappointed in HP. Yes my computer is a few years old (purchased late 2014) but this tower hasn't been right since I purchased it. I contacted support many times only to be told that updates were needed or better yet there were no updates to fix the issue! All while it was under warranty.

The issue turned out to be a bad bios and Windows to which neither HP nor Microsoft offered any assistance, guidance or resolution. I actually had to resort to purchasing a MAC to get away from all the issues I was having. I gave the computer to my husband who despises Windows. He installed Linux/Ubuntu on the system and while this fixed many of the issues the computer had there is still  one we can't get (couldn't get it installed on Windows either) which is the update to the BIOS.

We need an update to the BIOS and we need it for Linux/Ubuntu. We do not have a  Windows computer any longer, we don't have access to one. We need to be able to install it via usb or even ethernet! The updates that you have on your site under software doesn't have an updater in there.

Again, I had to sound like a broken record but $1000 was spent on what I thought was supposed to be a top of the line tower with all the bells and whistles. It doesn't ring nor does it whistle. Never did. I am so disappointed and I would have thrown this tower straight into the garbage. But my husband wanted to try and save it from an early grave since it still has one of the best processors in it.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance someone could provide in helping me find the correct update with the proper files so that I can hopefully rectify this issue once and for all.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello

this is a recorded response (macro))
we need the exact model of your computer, and the product number
To find it follow this
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

and for a laptop:

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

He installed Linux / Ubuntu on the system and while this fixed many of the issues the computer had there is still one we can't get (couldn't get it installed on Windows either) which is the update to the BIOS.

You say the bios update could not be installed on windows?
What was happening then exactly?
To update the bios, there are usually two options
Directly under windows.
or with a usb key, which should normally be done under windows!
so already if you don't have windows, it's compromised

You say, that you need a bios update, but to solve what problem, finally?

NB: here it is a user help community, it is not our websites, we do not create updates or anything
Basically you are not in direct contact with HP here

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

It is a hp envy 700-074. That is the exact model. The model number is mxx3220fwh. 

HP Recommended

HP ENVY 700-074 Desktop PC Product Specifications

• Manufacturer: MSI
  • Manufacturer name: MS-7826
  • HP/Compaq name: Kaili
  • SSID: 2AF3

Updates are only available for windows 8
but very present!
What is just curious is to have two with the same SSID

the dates are different, but the same description

Check which version you have in place?

You did not answer my questions
in any case what is indicated to be solved is entered, if your problem is not described, it may not change anything!

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.24 Rev.A11.5 MBAug 3, 2015Download

fix and enhancements:

- Modified what UEFI boot device presents in Boot Order menu when installing Intel PCIe LAN card
Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.
NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

Previous version

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.23 Rev.A

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixed verb table to patch IDT audio detection issue
- Improved Overclocking function

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.21 Rev.A

Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

There are a ton of things wrong with it and have been since they forced me to upgrade to windows 10. The Bluetooth doesn’t work, it is flagging for security errors due to the bios not being updated. The Memory slot has never worked right neither has the WiFi. I could go on and on. This tower was purchased brand new, still looks brand new as well. I either got into chat with them or called them all the time. It worked perfect until they forced that update through and I could go back to windows 8 unless I paid for it, which I didn’t feel j should have had to do. 

Tried to do the bios update (I have tried many times in the past with no help from hp)  but couldn’t get it to take the update because we have the Linux operating system not windows nor do we know anyone with windows. So I just wanted someone from hp (or someone on this forum) to answer if it could be done and had they done it 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.