Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750 RZ 610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see that the AMD Ryzen CPU is part of the latest security malfunctions. I go to the AMD website and they say they will release a BIOS upgrade shortly.

I use the HP Support assistant (on my PC) to check for software and hardware updates...yet none are suggested.

I go to the HP driver and software webpage and check for updates, for my specific machine) and see BIOS upgrades, Chipset upgrades and many more.

So the question is, do I download and install them? Or rely on the System updater to find what I need?

I downloaded a BIOS update (dated Feb, 2018) and attempted to install it. It got to a page that had some choices such as:

- Create USB recovery drive to recover another HP device

- Copy BIOS image to another location

- Update ( greyed out ) saying this is an older BIOS version

Now...I'm not afraid of doing hardware and software updates and although I'm a self-taught techie (used to build my own PC's), but these types of messages are rather confusing to me. And since I don't wanna trash my system....can someone decifer the messages and give some advice?

Thanks...appreciate the help.

JOhn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi John

You're welcome.

I have been doing some digging and have found the following information.

Two possible HP systems have been located:

750-610rz CTO

750-610

Both systems use two possible motherboards.

P5BW-LA(Basswood). This has an Intel chipset.

Basswood. This has an AMD chipset.

Both PCs offer two identical possible BIOS updates.

The AMD BIOS update for SSID:8399 is dated  11-20-17 and would not have any patches for Spectre or the latest batch of AMD flaws recently disclosed by an Israeli security firm.

The February BIOS update (different SSID) may be for the Intel based motherboard. It is hard to say because no SSID is listed for the Intel MB.

Hope this helps.

Tom

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

My advice is to relax and wait for HP to patch your system.

I can't find your specific product using the product number you have provided.

Some HP systems have multiple motherboard (MB) SSID's. An incorrect MB SSID BIOS update will not install. I can't find your motherboard's SSID because I don't know your product number.

It is a good idea to find the correct BIOS update at the HP Software and Driver Downloads Support site for your specific motherboard instead of using HPSA to install BIOS updates.

HPSA BIOS updates can sometimes cause bad updates requiring HP Service Center remediation (replace the MB or reprogram the MB).

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks Tom,

Good advice... I'm relaxed. I do like to stay informed and proactive in my PC maintainance...when I can.

And as you point out...installing the wrong BIOS could really mess things up.

I believe this is my MB

• HP name: Basswood
  • SSID: 8399

I'll wait for th patch(s)

Be Well...

John

HP Recommended

Hi John

You're welcome.

I have been doing some digging and have found the following information.

Two possible HP systems have been located:

750-610rz CTO

750-610

Both systems use two possible motherboards.

P5BW-LA(Basswood). This has an Intel chipset.

Basswood. This has an AMD chipset.

Both PCs offer two identical possible BIOS updates.

The AMD BIOS update for SSID:8399 is dated  11-20-17 and would not have any patches for Spectre or the latest batch of AMD flaws recently disclosed by an Israeli security firm.

The February BIOS update (different SSID) may be for the Intel based motherboard. It is hard to say because no SSID is listed for the Intel MB.

Hope this helps.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Boy...you're a super-sleuth.

Yup. My machine is the 750-610rz CTO with the AMD Ryzen 6 core cpu. So it is using the Basswood w/AMD chipset.

I also used a system lookup tool which shows my MB to be:

HP: 8399.

I purchased the PC in 12/2017 and agree that the 11/17 update would not have the patches.

I'll monitor the HP patch listing and update when they drop them for my PC...

Thanks Again

John

HP Recommended

Hi John

You're very welcome.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.