Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Z640 Workstation, tried every slot, several new and ancient video cards, bios recovery, spent hours trying to find screenshots of the bios so I could try to blindly change it back. Computer has been bricked for 4 to 5 months. Tried just about everything. Unless someone can help, I am going to buy another Z640 just to pull up the bios to get the right keystrokes. I have tax information stored on that computer that I am going to need soon.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello,
I can give blind handling for a Z600 probably tomorrow I do not know if it will match, it's worth it to test.

HP Recommended

>  I have tax information stored on that computer that I am going to need soon.

Until you can fix your computer ...

If you physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other desktop computer, you will be able to access all your Personal Files.

Or, there inexpensively exists external "SATA-to-USB" adapters -- connect the disk-drive to the adapter, and connect the adapter to a USB port on a laptop/desktop, to get access to your files.

HP Recommended

simple fix for the z800 (this should have been posted in the workstation forum!!)

enabling the compute option tells the system to use the installed card as a computing only device and to disable the video portion, if you did this on all slots then there is no working PCI-e video device and this setting is retained even if you reset cmos

the fix?....simple remove your PCI-e video card, install a PCI video card, boot enter the bios change all pci-e slots back to normal setting (disable compute) then power off, remove PCI card and reinstall PCI-E video card and power back on

Lesson learned,.......don't play with bios settings you don't understand!!!

research a bios setting using google to understand what changing it will do before blindly flipping settings

HP Recommended

I have a Z600. It is not the same BIOS. Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

using a PCI card to recover from setting all pci-e slots works on "ANY" HP workstation (as long as the system has a pci slot)

HP Recommended

But if you apply "compute" to all the slot, including PCI ?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Perfect ! Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

unlike the pci-e slots, the PCI slot does not have a compute option

this is why a video card inserted into the pci slot will still display

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.