Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Presario CQ5300Y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am attemting to upgrade the cpu on this machine.  Yes it is an old machine but it is important to upgrade this machine. (I have many fast computers so that is not the issue).  I am not fully able to pick the best processors as the upgrade page is not too accurate.  I know this from searching and reading over 20 hrs of research on the subject. 

From what I have determined: 1) some am2 and some am2+ processors will work.   2) 95w max cpu.      3) am3/am2+ cpu may work.  4) some am3 cpu's could work but HP did not and will not update bios.  So back to the real question... what list of processor part numbers will work with this machine??  I am most interested in Phenom II quad core but can't figure out what the bios will allow.

I would love to be able to use the cpu matrix on HP website to find all am2+ processors which will work,  but am2+ is not listed that I can find every time I do a search.  This whole process has become a nightmare.  Please don't just post the HP cpu upgrade page to me, as I said it is not completely accurate.  Please help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@wings77, welcome to the forum.

The HP "Processor upgrade information" is accurate for the HP motherboard.  HP has their motherboards made to their own specs.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as a retail motherboard.  If the HP information states that only AM2+ will work with this motherboard, I believe it means that the motherboard is only made to work with the reduced power consumption of the AM2+ socket.

Socket AM2+ has some differences however that will be used in AM2+ chips, there are two main features in Socket AM2+ not in Socket AM2:
* HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2.6 GHz
* Split power planes: one for the CPU cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC). This will improve power savings, especially with integrated graphics, if the CPU cores are in sleep mode but the IMC is still active.

If the processor doesn't say AM2+, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your time to attempt to help.   I am trying to get the (or one of the) fastest processors this board will work with.  In this case it would be a phenom II x4 or something similar, depending on what this board will do.  From my research it seems there is not much chance of getting a bios update, so my board with bios v5.54 is it.

I think the problem for me is the question is "what does HP consider to be an AM2+ processor?"  The cpu upgrade data: (note: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard). makes it clear that only am2+ processors can be used... OK fine, but the computer came with and is running on a AM2 (LE-1300).  I also states AMD Athlon X3 and AMD Athlon X4 are supported.  Interesting as these are FM2+ processors.  I'm not positive but I know of no AM2+ processors, only Athlon II x3 and x4 which are AM2+/AM3 (938 PIN not 940).   There seem to be people running this computer with the 938 pin cpus just fine, if the bios will bother to support it.... so the big question is (still):  what processors does this machine support (really)? 

HP Recommended

@wings77

@wings77 wrote:

Thanks for your time to attempt to help.   I am trying to get the (or one of the) fastest processors this board will work with.  In this case it would be a phenom II x4 or something similar, depending on what this board will do.  From my research it seems there is not much chance of getting a bios update, so my board with bios v5.54 is it.  This is correct.  HP isn't supplying any updates, of any kind, for computers built before 2013.

I think the problem for me is the question is "what does HP consider to be an AM2+ processor?"  You have to remember the computer was released in 2009.

The cpu upgrade data: (note: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard). makes it clear that only am2+ processors can be used... OK fine, but the computer came with and is running on a AM2 (LE-1300).  I also states AMD Athlon X3 and AMD Athlon X4 are supported.  Interesting as these are FM2+ processors.  I'm not positive but I know of no AM2+ processors, only Athlon II x3 and x4 which are AM2+/AM3 (938 PIN not 940).  

There seem to be people running this computer with the 938 pin cpus just fine, if the bios will bother to support it.... so the big question is (still):  what processors does this machine support (really)?  I don't believe there is anyone around who can tell you for certain which processors will work; except those on the list in HP Product Specifications -- "Processor upgrade information".  These have been tested to assure that they will work.  Beyond that, there simply is no guraranty.  I wish that I had better news for you.  I have been here for a long time and have seen processors that worked and many that didn't.  This is why I won't commit to knowing any different.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Well for some reason nobody understood that the upgrade information listed (on the hp upgrade page is not clear).  I spent about 100 hrs getting to the bottom of it (or close). "AM2+ processors only" is misleading and confusing.  This motherboard/model with my v5.54 bios will take AM2 AND AM2+/AM3 processors that meet the power and ram requirements.  Ironically this mb will not take any strictly AM2+ cpus, as the are all over 95w processors (at least that I could find). The 938 pin AM2+/AM3 cpus are actually what HP was describing - without really saying it.  I wish someone could have just simply told me what cpus are compatable.  When you go to Asus, AsRock or any other MB mfg they just simply tell you what cpu work with what bios on every motherboard - not hard. One thing I now know - I will never buy an HP computer again - never, ever.  The quality may be OK, but I just don't like the "support blackout" system I see in place. (I was also burned by a $2500 DV9000 laptop that I took good care of and ironically missed the recall when mine finally burnt up a little too late - so last straw).  Anyway about the CQ5300Y / m2n68-LA rev 5.00 / bios 5.54 ...

I put in a HDX945WFK4DGM Phenom II x4 945, 3.0 Mhz. It works just fine and was fully Id'd by the bios. It came out less than a year after the bios was made, but still after.  Hopefully this helps someone.

HP Recommended

I am running a PHENOM II x4 955(95 watt) CPU with this motherboard and am VERY satisfied with all aspects of the performance. The HP Specs sheet helped me to pick this UPGRADED CPU for my HP Pavilion p6714y Desktop. I am running 8 GB of RAM along with an ASUS-HD6450-2GB video card(not into gaming-just wanted HDMI). I am using a 240 MB S.S.D. for my C drive and a 1 TB HDD for my D drive.I am running a 800 watt EVGA p/s which is probably overkill but I got it at an excellent price point so what the heck- I'd rather have too much than not enough.I use CPUID-CPU-Z to check my system performance.STABLE and COOL. Windows 10 Pro works like a champ. As I said-IT WORKS WELL FOR ME.!!!!!! PEACE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.