Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp omen 870-224

I have the hp omen 870-224 and I’m wondering if I bought a i5 9600k would it work on my motherboard

Also planning on upgrading the ram to 16gbs so just need to know before I make my decision.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can't do a 9600k on this MB's chipset (H170). A i7-7700 is the limit.

You can upgrade to two 8 GB memory models. I would use Crucial memory (Link) for a good memory upgrade experience.

Replacing the slow platter HDD with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD will vastly improve system responsiveness and is a very good bang for the buck upgrade.

Regards

HP Recommended

When you say the 7700 does that include the i7 7700k or just 7700?

also checked the price of the 7700 and I think it might be better to just get a new motherboard and switch to a ryzen 3600x

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Only the 7700 has been validated by HP on your MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

One final question.

i’ve made my mind that I am going to go with the b450-f and get a ryzen 5 3600. Do you know if this motherboard will fit into the  Hp omen case? Also I’m getting SSD and ram but all the other parts I am switching from the current motherboard to the b450-f.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You need a uATX MB if you want to use the HP case.

I don't know if the HP case front panel connections and other variables will work with a retail MB.

I would get a new case. 

You will also need a new Windows product key. BTW, @Anfron , you can purchase a full retail product key for W10 Pro at PC World (Link). But this offer expires on October, 25th, 2020.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.