Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
2HJ45AA#ABA (HP Omen 880-P1xx)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone,

I just recently updated my CPU cooler from the stock cpu fan to a Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2 AIO. I was wondering if this particular cpu cooler is compatible with the HP MOBO? After I installed the new cpu cooler, I keep getting an error on startup that says that the CPU cooler cannot be detected. If I don't hit the enter key, it will shut down my computer. I always hit enter and it'll take me to windows. Upon viewing the new CPU cooler through the tempered glass window, I can see that the LED light on the head is on and the fans are spinning, so I assume it is all working. I also monitor the CPU temperature via the HP Omen app and everything seems to be at around 50-57 degrees Celsius under normal loads (web browsing, light game play) and the highest temperature it would reach was around 68-74 degrees Celsius under higher loads. 

I'm wondering why the MOBO isn't reading the CPU cooler because when WIndows does its nightly updates and restarts the computer on its own, it just completely shuts down since I'm not able to hit the enter key. Is there a way to fix this problem easily? Perhaps I need to get a compatible cpu cooler? If so, what are some compatible AIO cpu coolers that will work on this PC. 

PS: I'm new to this forum so if I forgot to include any other details or posted in the wrong section, I apologize in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jsales23 , welcome to the Community.

I suggest updating the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version, F.53 Rev A.  This may or may not solve your problem.  If not, I suggest contacting Corsair's Tech Support to see if they can help you.  They are the experts on their products and should know if their cooler is compatible with the HP motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply! I can't access the BIOS because of the error. As soon as I turn on the PC, the error saying "CPU fan not detected" comes on and as soon as I hit enter, there isn't enough time to boot into the BIOS.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @jsales23!  Thank you for the additional information.

You don't have to enter the BIOS/UEFI to update it.  Once the computer has booted, you start the update.  Here is a guide to help you.  I suggest that you download the README file before attempting the update.

HP Recommended

Ah, I see. Thank you for that link and information! I'm reading it and it says make sure you have your bitlocker key available. Where would I find that information at? I see it says if I don't have that key, I might have to reinstall Windows and that worries me lol.

HP Recommended

@jsales23, you should not have to reinstall Windows to update the BIOS/UEFI.  Just follow the instructions in the link that I provided in my original post.

HP Recommended

Hey @Old_geekster,

Sorry for the late reply. I've tried updating the bios but I still get the error. I think I've given up on this CPU cooler lol. I was looking for a replacement that will be compatible with the mobo's 4 pin CPU fan connector. Would you happen to have any recommendations?

HP Recommended

@jsales23 

@jsales23 wrote:

Hey @Old_geekster,

Sorry for the late reply. I've tried updating the bios but I still get the error. I think I've given up on this CPU cooler lol. I was looking for a replacement that will be compatible with the mobo's 4 pin CPU fan connector. Would you happen to have any recommendations?

Not a problem!  You tried the only cooler that I would have recommended and it hasn't worked.  The only other suggestion that I have is contact Corsair's Tech Support to see if they can help you the the H80 to work.  They are the experts on their products.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.