Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 690 0073w

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Zbradley8172 , welcome to the forum.

Yes, there is a bay for a Hard Drive (HDD).  Here is the Upgrading and Serving Guide for the computer.  On Pages 9 and 12 it discusses the HDD.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

It looks like pages 12-14 cover Hard Drive replacement. 

But, in order to add an additional, new, hard drive, what cables are needed. or does it plug directly in (SATA III?)?

It looks like there is space for two hard drives...is that true?

Is there any question that the power supply is big enough?

UPgrading the SSD:

What form factor is the SSD? It looks like there might be a second SSD slot...is that true?

thanks!

Scott

--*\__/*--
HP Pavilion 690-0073w new 12/2019
i5-9400, 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666, GTX 1660 Ti, added 640GB 3.5" HDD
HP Recommended

@BuckskinSlim
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

2HL14AA#ABA

In the mean time, I added a 3.5" HDD, using the slot+SATA+power connection already existing.

Do you know of any way to get the memory to run at 2666MHz?

If I wanted to upgrade the CPU to i7, what considerations should be looked at?

Is there a Thunderbolt 3 compatible connection on this machine? I'm looking at adding an eGPU for 4k video editing.

thanks,

Scott

--*\__/*--
HP Pavilion 690-0073w new 12/2019
i5-9400, 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666, GTX 1660 Ti, added 640GB 3.5" HDD
HP Recommended

@BuckskinSlim 

Q:  Do you know of any way to get the memory to run at 2666MHz? 

A:  It appears that you upgraded the memory to 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666.  The original memory was 2666 according to the Product Specifications.  Look at the section titled Memory.  Here is what it shows:  8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

For you to overclock your new memory from 2133 (This would be base clock speed.) to 2666, there would have to be a "XMP Profile" in the BIOS. I don't believe this would be available in your BIOS/UEFI.

Q:  If I wanted to upgrade the CPU to i7, what considerations should be looked at?

A:  There is only one i7 processor that has been fully tested to be compatible with the motherboard.  It is the "Intel Core i7-8700 (3.2 GHz base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)".  It should work fine without any changes to the system.  Any other i7 processors won't necessarily be compatible.

Q:  Is there a Thunderbolt 3 compatible connection on this machine? I'm looking at adding an eGPU for 4k video editing.

A:  No.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  Look at the section titled "I/O Ports and Jumpers/Back I/O Ports for a list of ports that are available.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.