Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-340n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to know if I can install an ssd on my desktop pc 550-340nl.

Is there a favourite and compatible one ?

Moreover, is there the possibility to install an ssd M.2?

Thanks in advice

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Alfox1 

Your system does not have an M.2 port for an M.2 drive.

However, you can certainly install a standard 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

You can use it for the boot drive by connecting it into the SATA port that your 1 TB HDD is using currently. I recommend clean installing Windows to the new SSD, rather than cloning, but that's up to you. You wont need to worry about the activation key for Windows 10. It will activate itself after it connects to the web for updates.

I would disconnect the the HDD before installing Windows to the new drive. Once you confirm the new SSD works, you can wipe the HDD and use and use it for storage. You might need another SATA cable though and make sure your SATA power supply cable has another power plug for the 2nd drive. You only have a 180w PSU but you should still be able to add a 2nd drive.

Your specs... https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-300-desktop-pc-series/10734563/model/12344316/d...

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray, thanks a lot

I'm not expert but, I can try it.

Why do you suggested me to use a clean installing Windows to the new SSD?

For the unnecessary Hp app?

I'm thinking to use the cloning .

So, I would like to use a cable usb-sata to clone my present hdd and then I replace it with a new ssd.

What do you think?

Without cloning, I'm worried about the drivers for all peripheral devices.

Does Win 10 provide to intall these?

HP Recommended

Like I said, you can certainly do what you want, that's up to you.

But every time I get someone like yourself who does it, they comes back with problems.

And if clean installing was a bad idea, I would not have recommended it. 😉

Any problems you might of had on the old drive will also get cloned to the new drive also.

Clean installing is a fresh start. 

Yes Windows will install the drivers now when you run Windows updates.

The HP apps or software that you want can be reinstalled from the HP drivers page for your model.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-550-300-desktop-pc-series/10734563/mode...

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks

I'm almost convinced

When you said:

"Any problems you might of had on the old drive will also get cloned to the new drive also."

Are there these problems if I clone the initial backup image (that I did when I bought the pc) also?

I don't want to contradict you , I would like to realize so I ask you about this problem:  there are many applications, as Macrium or EaseUs, that allow to re-load the old backup image. I think that these apps are popular applications to do it.

I should ( / I would like to ) do something like that:

-reload the old image

-copy this image on the new ssd.

Can I meet some problems if the old Image is correct?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.