Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP-01
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received my new HP Pavilion TP-01.  It came with a 256 SSD (installed on the motherboard).  I have a 1 TB SSD {Samsung EVO 860) the mounts like a standard SATA drive..  It is already loaded with my apps and data.  I would rather use this drive as my C drive.  

QUESTION:

Can I remove the 256 SSD from the mother board (I already have my SSD mounted and plugged in) and boot off my Samsung SSD?

Thanks for any input

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@bdavid500 , welcome to the forum.

@bdavid500 wrote:

I just received my new HP Pavilion TP-01.  It came with a 256 SSD (installed on the motherboard).  I have a 1 TB SSD {Samsung EVO 860) the mounts like a standard SATA drive..  It is already loaded with my apps and data.  I would rather use this drive as my C drive.  

QUESTION:

Can I remove the 256 SSD from the mother board (I already have my SSD mounted and plugged in) and boot off my Samsung SSD?

Thanks for any input

Actually, you shouldn't have to remove the M.2 to use the SSD as the boot drive.  Go into the BIOS/UEFI and set the SSD as the boot drive.  Make certain that it is connected to SATA port #1.

Depending on how many GB are used on your SSD, you could use Samsung's Migration software to clone the SSD to the M.2.  It will be faster.  Then, you could use the SSD for your apps, games, etc.

I have a Samsung M.2, 970 Pro (512 GB), as my boot drive and a Samsung EVO 860 (1 TB) for apps, games and just plain storage.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  I did go into the bios and change the configuration to boot off the samsung drive.  And after it booted up the pc saw the Samsung EVO 860 as the local drive.  But none of the apps showed up on the start menu.  I tried to change the C drive (that is the 256) to a different drive letter (inside computer management) but windows would not allow me to do so.  I was thinking I could change C drive to X drive then change the Samsung Drive to C drive.  

I weary that the 256 ssd will be too small.  I use LightRoom on this computer and all of its pathing is directed at C drive.  So the Samsung drive needs to be C drive if possible.

Thus my thoughts of removing the on-board SSD and letting the computer boot off the Samsung drive.  Would that work?

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that I had not confirmed that the Samsung EVO was connected to Sata1..  It currently is not connected to Sata 1.  I will do that and make sure the Bios is configured correctly.  

HP Recommended

Ok I made sure the Samsung Drive is connected to Sata1.  Checked the bios and made sure it was configured to boot off the Samsung drive.  Computer booted up successfully but it still sees the Samsung as the D local drive.

So how can I make the computer see the Samsung drive as :"C  local drive"?

HP Recommended

@bdavid500, you are welcome!

I didn't see your original post that said you tried to change the Drive Letter in Disk Management.   However, it should work if you are actually booted to the SSD; not to the original 256 GB, M.2.  You can't change a Drive Letter on the boot drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Old_geekster, I tried to change C drive (that would be the 256 SSD to another drive such as "Drive X" then I would rename the Samsung to "C" drive.  You cannot change "D" drive (my samsung SSD to "C" since "C" is already in use..  I got an error message when I tried to change "C" to "X" the error is "The parameter is incorrect".  

I did confirm that if I physically remove the HP delivered 256 SSD then the system will boot up on my Samsung Drive.  

Although it is not the best solution it does work.  I hate to not use the 256 SSD  but that maybe my only option unless I want to re-install all my software and copy my data over.

I am all ears for suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @bdavid500!

You are absolutely correct that it should boot to the SSD if you remove the M.2.  I was simply trying to save you a step.

Here is a guide that may help you solve your problem: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/79064-change-assign-drive-letter-windows-10-a.html#:~:text=1%20P...

According to the guide the drive with Windows should be the C: drive.  With the M.2 removed the SSD should become the C: drive.  Once you have established the SSD as the C: boot drive, you can connect the M.2 as storage drive or keep it for an emergency boot drive.

HP Recommended

OK I may just keep the 256 SSD as an emergency boot device.  Not sure what else I would do with it.

I have the 1 TB HDD that came with the computer so extra storage is not a big deal.

Thanks so much for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.