Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-537cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I ran the MS app to check if my computer is Windows 11 capable. Stated it's not. Can I upgrade to be Windows 11 ready or should I be shopping for a new computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PDaddy56 

Until recently, MS had hard floor and soft floor requirements for Windows 11, now they have removed that distinction.

For Intel processors, it must be 8th generation or newer -- yours is 7th.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@PDaddy56 , welcome to the Community.

The item that seems to be causing most computers to fail is the TPM.  You will have to check in the BIOS/UEFI to see if it is available and enabled.  Then, if it is not the correct version you will have to update the BIOS/UEFI to see if that helps.

Here is a good article that will tell you the minimum system requirements.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@PDaddy56 

You need to know EVERYTHING that your system lacks for Windows 11, not just what the MS tool tells you.

Here is a link to a third-party tool that will check all the currently known requirements for Windows 11 and tell you what fails on your PC: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

Do NOT try to download this using MS Edge as it flags it as malware -- which it is NOT -- use a different Browser instead.

HP Recommended

Everything checked good except the CPU Generation. Got a yellow question mark there. Should I be concerned?

HP Recommended

@PDaddy56 

Until recently, MS had hard floor and soft floor requirements for Windows 11, now they have removed that distinction.

For Intel processors, it must be 8th generation or newer -- yours is 7th.

HP Recommended

I read yesterday that MS is reconsidering 7th generation support. A group of testers will be working on that and MS will determine the status at that time. I'll hold off until then. My only option right now is a newer motherboard as mine will not support and 8th or 9th generation processor. Thank you for your information. It pointed me in the right direction.

HP Recommended

is this your HP computer, PDaddy56?

indeed you will have to wait a few months until Microsoft completes its test for 7th gen Intel (Kaby Lake) and AMD Zen 1 (Ryzen 1xxx) CPUs (right around the time Windows 11 reaches close to final release) before you can try to upgrade to Windows 11.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.