Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-420qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, My system partition is set up on a 250 GB SSHD - running out of room. I do all my new software installs on the roomy 2TB hard drive. Patches, virtual memory, etc. have still chewed up my tiny SSHD. The specs for my machine say it has a Odense2-S motherboard - expansion slots are:  PCIe x16 (Gen 3): 1PCIe x1 (Gen 3): 1M.2 socket 1, key A: 1

I haven't actually opened up the machine and looked but I am guessing one of the slots is for the hard drive, one for the NVIDIA graphics card? and the SSHD. I want to do more video work and would like more room for the pre-rendering, so a 2TB SSHD would do nicely. I am guessing with the current configuration I will have to migrate the system partition to the 2TB hard drive and set that partition as the boot drive. Then replace the 250 GB SSHD with a larger SSHD and then migrate the system partition back. Looking at the original hardware options for this model all the combinations of SSHD and HDD show only a 256 GB SSHD. So do I need to buy a new machine or will the motherboard support the 2TB HDD and a larger SSHD.  If so what form factor should I be looking at and exactly how large an SSHD will it support?

Thanks in advance

Harold

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@programmer_java,

Glad you dropped by to ask.

Here is your basic configuration  , (includes link to the motherboard)  and  upgrade manual.

CAUTION: Before you look inside, shutdown and remove the power cord.  That is an absolute safety issue.  The motherboard has stand-by power 24/7 unless you remove that power cord.  Also get a grounding strap.

There are only 3 SATA data headers on the motherboard, ie DVD, 2.5" SSD (2.5 to 3.5 adapter tray), and 3.5" HD.  The tray and the 3.5" drive used Fillister head screws to allow these devices to "slide" into the drive bays. Then it clicks into locking position. There is a de-lock tab on each of the 3 bays.

If what you explained is 100%, you could purchase a Samsung EVO 860 (1 or 2 TB max).  Unplug the 2TB HD (temporarily) and perform a clone using Samsung Tool or Macrium Reflect tool.  Both are free).  Then swap the SSD drives.

You could unplug the DVD power and data lines.  Hook up a new HD (any size, ie WD Black  4 TB or 6TB and clone the 2TB HDYou could need a power and data line to the new HD.  (I do not know if the DVD plug is 2 cables or a dual plug).  Strangely Seagate Barracuda Pro series 10 TB is cheaper than their 8 TB. 

NOTE: the SSD sizing is for a boot drive, the HD sizing is for programs/data.

Special Note: If you want 3 drives, a PCIE x 1 SATA card will work with your DVD drive.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@programmer_java,

Glad you dropped by to ask.

Here is your basic configuration  , (includes link to the motherboard)  and  upgrade manual.

CAUTION: Before you look inside, shutdown and remove the power cord.  That is an absolute safety issue.  The motherboard has stand-by power 24/7 unless you remove that power cord.  Also get a grounding strap.

There are only 3 SATA data headers on the motherboard, ie DVD, 2.5" SSD (2.5 to 3.5 adapter tray), and 3.5" HD.  The tray and the 3.5" drive used Fillister head screws to allow these devices to "slide" into the drive bays. Then it clicks into locking position. There is a de-lock tab on each of the 3 bays.

If what you explained is 100%, you could purchase a Samsung EVO 860 (1 or 2 TB max).  Unplug the 2TB HD (temporarily) and perform a clone using Samsung Tool or Macrium Reflect tool.  Both are free).  Then swap the SSD drives.

You could unplug the DVD power and data lines.  Hook up a new HD (any size, ie WD Black  4 TB or 6TB and clone the 2TB HDYou could need a power and data line to the new HD.  (I do not know if the DVD plug is 2 cables or a dual plug).  Strangely Seagate Barracuda Pro series 10 TB is cheaper than their 8 TB. 

NOTE: the SSD sizing is for a boot drive, the HD sizing is for programs/data.

Special Note: If you want 3 drives, a PCIE x 1 SATA card will work with your DVD drive.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I want to make sure I understand you directions. You mention 3 SATA data headers, Are you referring to the the three expansion slots (1 CPLe's and the M.2 socket) ? I guess the NVDIA graphics is either somewhere else or built into the motherboard. I plan on staying with the 2TB hard drive. Any finished projects I just peel off onto an external drive. 

So then, Step one: remove 3.5" HDD.  Step two: clone the existing SSD unto the new SSD. Here is where I can't quite visualize what is going on. I assume the cloning requires that I plug the new SSD into the old HDD's slot before doing the clone.

Step three: remove the old SSD and replace with new SSD. 

Step four: return 3.5" SSD to it's slot

Does that sound like I've understood?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Ok, I went over to YouTube and found a video that was a very helpful visual. So I am good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYJfcMu2nk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.