Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card on my HP Envy 750-114 desktop. It currently has Intel integrated HD 530 graphics co-processor. The system has 300w power.  First, can this desktop even support a dedicated graphics card upgrade and if so would it take a Nvidia GTX 1050Ti card? This card has a minimum 300w power requirement and uses 75w itself. Any advice/help and/or recommendations would be helpful. My desktop has an I5-6400 cpu @ 2.7GHz, a x64 bit based processor and 12Gb ram. I called the "Geek Squad" and was told I would have to bring in the computer for them to look at first...as they could not tell me if a graphics card update was possible. Can anyone help me out with some additional information? Thanks in advance for any responses!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ArchersFire, welcome to the forum.

I understand that you want to know if you can add a discrete/dedicated video card to your computer.  The answer is, yes!

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  There is a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot on the motherboard.  The GTX 1050 Ti would be a great card to boost system performance.  The card in my link doesn't require any supplemental power connectors and should run nicely with your 300W power supply unit (PSU).  I have recommended it to many members of the Forums without any problems.  Read the Reviews to see what users have to say about it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@ArchersFire, welcome to the forum.

I understand that you want to know if you can add a discrete/dedicated video card to your computer.  The answer is, yes!

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  There is a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot on the motherboard.  The GTX 1050 Ti would be a great card to boost system performance.  The card in my link doesn't require any supplemental power connectors and should run nicely with your 300W power supply unit (PSU).  I have recommended it to many members of the Forums without any problems.  Read the Reviews to see what users have to say about it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you! I have been looking for an answer to this question for several weeks now searching information all over the web. Even the "Geek Squad" at the big box store could not answer my question!

I'm an "old time" gamer who became addicted to pinball and space invaders at the local arcade when I was a kid. Been gaming ever since but have never been able to afford a gaming pc or console. Only reason I have the HP Envy was because my 14 year old computer finally quit. I was not smart enough to realize the model I bought would be so limited as for gaming due to integrated graphics. A learning experience for sure. I just figured, hey it's a top model it should be great for playing games. I was wrong. It's a great computer for work, just not for gaming.

Thank You again so much for your help

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ArchersFire.

The video card that I recommended will definitely allow you to game as smooth as silk.

Good luck!

HP Recommended
What about an hp 750-287c desk top? Same issue. I need a dedicated graphics card. Here are the specific specs
https://support.hp.com/lt-en/product/hp-envy-750-200-desktop-pc-series/9259609/document/c05158267/
HP Recommended

@CorshawnB, welcome to the forum.

You can definitely use the same video card that I recommended to the other member.  Your computer has the same motherboard and power supply unit (PSU).

For future reference, it would be better if you start your own thread.  This will assure that you get better reponses.

HP Recommended
Thank you @old_geekster. Will do.
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @CorshawnB.

HP Recommended

Hi Old_geekster I'm new to PC gaming and I had a similar question if you wouldn't mind helping me out. What mid priced GPU would you recommend for an HP envy 740-424? I also have already upgraded my power supply to a EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W.

HP Recommended

@Xerxes6988, , welcome to the forum.

I would appreciate it if you would check the model of your computer.  I believe that it should be 750-424.  I can't find anything in the 740 series.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.