Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop - TP01-0026no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am blind, and use a screen reader that uses commands with the function keys F1-F12 and the numbers on the numeric keyboard with num lock turned off. And I use the normal Windows keyboard shortcuts a lot.

Since I bought this computer, num lock is on, and I have to press the function keys together with the FN key, to make the function keys work as I want them to (the traditional behaviour).

I have looked in the BIOS (UEFI), but the only related setting was the option to turn num lock on or off at startup. I also have tried lots of keystrokes that possibly could work as a FN lock switch, such as FN+ESC and FN+shift.

Thanks in advance,

Pelle_R

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Pelle_R

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. I'm afraid there are no options to change the 'fn' feature on a desktop computer.

For further assistance, you may contact the HP Support team. Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the reply,

I solved the issue by simply changing the keyboard to one without an FN key. This made the F1-F12 keys work the traditional way.

Unfortunately, I cannot click on the thumbs up icon, because it is inaccessible to my screen reader.

Best Regards,

Pelle_r

HP Recommended

@Pelle_R

Glad to know that you found a solution and the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.