Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 TS AiO PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Current card in the all in one is intel hi graphics 2500

total avail graphics memory is 1792MB / dedicated Video Memory 32MB / system video memory 0MB

shared system memory 1760MB

trying to find out if there’s anyway I can get a better graphics card to replace the one that came with the system.  I realize this system is 8 years old, trying to give my kid a better than 12FPS experience when he’s playing fortnite without pulling the trigger to buy a whole new PC right now.  Running via Ethernet and have good upload / download 88Mbps up / 11Mbps down yet always getting a poor connection signal in game.  Can only conclude that due to shared memory the graphics is what’s killing the experience and forcing the low FPS rate.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

I can't find your PC using Envy 23 TS AiO.

AIO PCs generally have integrated graphics. 

I don't think you can upgrade the graphics on an eight year old HP AIO PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Perhaps this would be better way to identify....

product number = H3Y87AA#ABA

model number = 23-d034

HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PC

didn’t know if perhaps HP had alternate graphics options that might be a little better than what was already in the system.  I know sometimes PCs can be bought with slightly different configurations so was hoping there might be a slightly better option even if it’s not the latest and greatest.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the additional info.

Your PC's motherboard specs can be reviewed here (Link). Factory specs show integrated Intel graphics.

This model does have a PCIe MXM slot that supports Gen2 X16 graphics (look in Expansion Slots:). Given the age of the motherboard it may be hard to find this part. Finding and installing this component may not help given the age of your AIO PC.

The CPU, memory speed, graphics card, and network latency and speed will affect the online gaming experience. You may have more than just one issue causing low FPS when gaming online.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz,

thanks for all the help.  Any chance you might be able to pull a HP part number for an comparable graphics card that would work with this system or perhaps a manufacturer and card type that I should be looking for.  Lastly any concerns with power / cooling fans that I need to be aware of?

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,

Going to upload some links, so you can delve into this:

complete specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03511475

MXM type A card 2nd Gen list of cards  <35W   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

Fortnite requirements

You were so correct... If a MXM card on the list would correlate to the recommended GPU card, it still needs CPU and RAM upgrades.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I can't find a HP part number because HP did not offer this component as an upgrade option at purchase. You can check at this (Link). Input the region and the PC part number. You will see a list of components that shipped with this PC.

You need a Legacy MXM graphics card like this one (Link). This card is a  Legacy Nvidia GTX 680. I can't verify it will work with your PC. It should. You could shop around at other retail sites or try eBay. I would verify the return policy in case any card you buy does not work.

This graphics card is designed to run in AIO PCs or Laptops so you should not have a power issue. There is not much you can do to improve cooling in a AIO PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz 

That card is a type B (200W). No joy 🙄

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 

I think it is going to be tough to find a compatible graphics card upgrade for this eight year old PC. 

Does the Nvidia 680M require a 200 watt external power supply? I have seen some newer Dell Alienware Laptops that use two external power supplies to power the system.

Maybe eBay has some used purchase options.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Wb2001

Obviously this is going to be a challenge and I’m thinking at this point I’m gonna try upping ram from the 6 I have to 16 with a 8x2 1600 since as far as I can tell my system has the appropriate bridge to allow and see if $60 investment will get me by for now.  Obviously it’s a hypothetical but let’s say I found a graphics card that would work.  Would you be able to toss out a conservative estimate on what I’d be spending for CPU etc upgrades to compete the job?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.