Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Desktop won't turn on. I have the power LED light showing. Not blinking it looks on. I followed these steps:

Power supply light does not turn on or power supply fan does not spin

1. Disconnect everything from the computer, including the power cord.
  2. With the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the front of the computer.
  3. Plug in the power cord to see if the computer automatically turns on

The computer turned on and I was able to login to my windows account. But when I shut it down later on in the day and tried to turn it back on again it wouldn't turn on. I followed the above steps again but it doesn't work at all. Therefor it only worked the first time around.

Any advice?

thank you, 

Ross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
My ocmputer is booting now. It does sonething different. When I press the power button it comes on for a split second then stops for 2 seconds then powers on.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try to clear the cmos and check the occurance of the issue. 

To clear the CMOS please perform the steps below:

1. There is a small button (usually yellow or red) on the motherboard, usually near the cmos battery.
  2. This is your cmos reset switch.
  3. Remove the cmos battery.
  4. If this is not possible, you can omit this one step however, preferable if removed.
  5. Press the Cmos Reset Switch for at least 30 seconds without letting go. Release.
  6. Put the cmos battery back in

g .Plug the unit back in

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. 

I wasn't able to find any switch however I removed the CMOS battery and put it back together. My computer now switches on. Thank you very much for this information. 

I haven't done anything else with it as I need to run off to work now but will continue when I am back later on today. 

thanks again

Ross

HP Recommended

Its great to hear that.

HP Recommended
My ocmputer is booting now. It does sonething different. When I press the power button it comes on for a split second then stops for 2 seconds then powers on.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it
HP Recommended

wow...this worked, please what is the cause of the CMOS FAILURE. 

HP Recommended

The fact that I have to take apart my laptop and reset the device from the internals has made my decision for me. I will never purchase another HP again. If this is a known issue with this product, why not issue a recall?! I have never had this issue with a MAC or personally built PC, but I thought I would take a chance with this product in hopes to bring my gaming on the go. I’ll look elsewhere for my products now.

HP Recommended

Does this earas all my documents and program?

HP Recommended

I've been purchasing HP products since 1975, before the IBM PC.  I haved personally owned about twenty Desktops and Notebooks.  I also design network solutions and have recommended and installed probably 300 HP desktops and servers.  I have never had a single unit fail on me until today.  I have also own a number of Apple desktops, iphones, and ipads.  I am on the phone with Apple at least once a week.  I wouldn't recommend a Mac to anyone.  The most reliable computer products out there are HP.  That's why HP sells 75% of all servers in the wild.  The alternative is Dell, but for reliability, you can't beat HP.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.