Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own an Omen 880 model with the higos 8309 motherboard, I bought an all-in-one water-cooler but during my install i found that this board even tho it is an am4 cpu socket, does not use the standard am4 mounting bracket for my or any am4 cooler. So with this being a stupid issue of an am4 socket not using the same am4 mount as any other system, What mounting hardware is going to give me the needed coverage as well as the required mounting pressure to provide proper cooling for my Ryzen cpu?????

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Easterling1987 , welcome back to the forum.

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  So, they are not necessarily the same as a retail board.  It is always best when upgrading a HP system to do some research before beginning.  I have made the same mistake a time or two and I know the situation.

I believe that your best option is to choose a cooler manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to tell you if they have a product that will be compatible.  You may have to contact several to find one that will work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I don't do pre-builds, I feel they are a rip off compared to what you can build yourself. I recommend for people who don't know computer hardware to go the pre-built route for warranty and everything is done for you. I have never bought a motherboard that the cpu socket did not match the the cooler mount. I am upgrading this pre-built because my wife bought it as a gift for me, so I have spent a lot of time turning this into the computer that it says it was, all spec we got of this machine was a lie. Now i have changed everything in this pc except the motherboard, power supply, everything else has been changed. When I moved to the cooler- I found one more thing i hate about pre-builds, Not the same mount as the socket which is dumb if you ask me, every other board maker seemed to be able to use the matching cooler, god forbid hp, dell or any other pre-build maker, one more way they screw you to buy there stuff! So according to my measurements the cooler mount seems to be an Intel of all things on an AMD machine, Anyway it seems to be a socket 1151 cooler mount on this am4 socket. What concerns me is mounting pressure. If i put my 1151 back plate and cooler mount on is this going to allow my cooler to make solid pressure to my cpu to make a good thermal contact. I don't feel like removing this motherboard-since they had to seal the back side of the motherboard tray too- only thing that makes sense was to prevent simple, fast upgrades and so people who don't do this for a living ( I do, I work IT for a Government Office) to have to pay someone to do it for them. I will have to remove the board to change the back plate and install the new mount and I don't want to waste time just to find that the lga 1151 fits but doesn't supply the proper tension to the cpu. Dose anyone know if the 1151 mount will in fact make good contact to my cpu??

HP Recommended

@Easterling1987, I hear what you are saying and won't try to convince you otherwise.  However, most users of pre-built computers are like you describe.  They turn it on and use it as is.  They are not like you and me who want the top of the top.

As for the lga 1151 cooler mounting to your motherboard, I am skeptical that it will work properly.  I just built a custom computer (See my Signature) and did a lot of research on the subject.  All of the coolers that I reviewed had a separate back-plate for Intel and AMD processors.  It may fit, but working properly is another situation completely.  These Forums are different from what you may be familiar with.  Members come here to solve a problem and leave.  Very few, if any, lurk afterwards to help.  So, I don't know if you will get a definitive answer to your questions.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@old_geekster @Easterling1987 

This (Link) from 2018 may help you.

It appears the Higos MB accepts Intel socket 1151 CPU back plates needed to mount after market CPU coolers. Look at "JohnnyNo5's" response for details.

I can't verify this but he claims he did it.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate you all taking time out of your days to respond to me posting about stupid stuff about a computer that you will probably never see. As for using forums, Or posting in and using. I have never used a forum. I may be browsing a site, Than see where someone has asked a question, Or has a difficult problem that they need help solving, And I will post to give an answer, Or to give guidance or at least some sort of information to try and help them through. This was the main reason I started my YouTube channel was to help people, Educate them on how a pc works. What the hardware inside is and does. I enjoy it. But I don't really follow forums. That's why I really appreciate your all time here.

What my concern is, about the pressure that is applied to the cpu when the cooler is attached. Since it is an am4 socket, am4 cpu, am4 cooler, But with an 1151 back plate and screws. I don't know if the Intel sockets are taller, or maybe shorter than the Amd socket. The screws for this 1151 back plate are only threaded so far so I cant have them not be long enough to reach the cooler. Or worst yet they be to long and when i thread on the nut it seems tight, cooler feels tight, But have space left under the cooler between the cpu and it. I will be able to tell with software temp monitoring, It's really just the headache of working on computers all day to come home and have to do this whole project on this pc, boot Windows, Only to have to shut down, put the old cooler back on, Getting nothing resolved, And still having to find a way of doing this. IT WILL BE DONE! I WILL DO THIS! If any one knows if the sockets are the same height, please let me know. And again everyone thank you for responding and helping me find a resolution to this odd ball issue. Mixing Intel cooler brackets and mounts on an Amd cpu and socket?!?! Like what. But here we are. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I hear you and sympathize with your perspective.

I don't know why and can't explain why HP would use Intel based square mounting points on an AMD motherboard. HP and many other tier one OEMs do this kind of stuff.

This is the way it is.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Easterling1987, I totally hear and feel your frustration.  Computers have become a way of life, but a very frustrating part of it.  We pay the price for engineers who feel like they know what is best for us.  I wish that I could give you an exact answer to solve your problem.  Again, I suggest that you contact Cooler Masters, Tech Support, to see if they have any idea if their cooler will seat properly in your situation.  I bug those guys all of the time when I have a problem.  Another possible solution is go to Cooler Master's Forums.  Good luck!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.