Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion p6 -2022uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product Name: Pavillion p6-2022uk
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Motherboard: H-Cupertino 2-H61-uATX (Cupertino2)

Hi,

I'm helping a friend to get his Pavillion p6-2022uk desktop PC working again so that he can install his brand new Epson printer via USB.

We purchased and installed Startech USB2.0 Expansion Card Adapter in order to get some working USB ports as 4 out of the existing 6 USB ports on his PC were no longer working and numerous atempts to revive them just did not succeed.

Old Geekster was very helpful in pointing us us the right direction in his recommendations of suitable purchase
of USB Card Adapter for this particular HP Desktop PC motherboard.

Now to the two issues we are facing at the moment. While installing the hardware card we noticed in Device Manager following error:

SM Bus Controller
code 18
Reinstall Driver

After searching options for suitable driver I decided to install HP Driver SP799350.exe
This driver came directly from HP Support website, drivers section for HP Pavillion p6-2022uk model.
It did not fix the problem. As right after the restart we were seeing two exclamation mark errors in Device Manager:

Unknown Device
error code 28

hardware IDs
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&SUBSYS_2ABF103C&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&SUBSYS_2ABF103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&CC_0C05

PCI to PCI Bridge
error code 28

hardware IDs
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111&SUBSYS_00000000
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111&REV_02
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111&CC_060400
PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_E111&CC_0604

PCI to PCI Bridge error seemed to indicate the newly installed Startech USB Card Adapter. When I contacted
Startech people, they were trying to be helpful, but in the end more or less said that the fault showing in Device
Manager as SB Bus Controller unless fixed will prevent for their Startech Card to install proper drivers.

Here I seek, yet again great forumites your assistance in gettingh my friend's PC working as it should.
I woud dearly love to get solutions to these two issues and would really welcome any pointers and steps to be taken.

Arkeyone

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for the smbus controller...Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the original driver for the Intel Chipset Family SMBus Controller solutions in supported models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56697.exe

And yes, the second ID you posted is for equipment that did not come with your PC originally.

HP Recommended

Many thanks Provost. Most appreciated. I shall download and instal your recommended driver, then I shall report back

the results.

Arkeyone

HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

Juist tried to install your recommeded driver for our SM Bus Controller. After restart showing following error in Device Manager. Also, it kept asking if we want to update the driver.

Please advise,

Arkeyne

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Details Tab - hardware IDs

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&SUBSYS_2ABF103C&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&SUBSYS_2ABF103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&CC_0C05

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't understand why that driver didn't work since it is for the H61 chipset.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to try the chipset driver directly from Intel.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...

HP Recommended

Thank you for the tip and the link. Tried Intel Update Utility and when trying to install it got a message that the installation cannot proceed because of unknown error?

Right after the restart of PC I double checked installed HP utilies programs that came with PC when bought. I have also checked for possibility of any Intel utility programs and found one of them to be Intel Update Utility. which when started offered a scan of Intel drivers already installed to see if updates were needed, I guess?

When scan was completed Intel Utility was not able to recommend any new driver updates, but gave us only one link and that one was right back to HP website, Drivers category. Talk about a run around?

So basically we go back to the square one. Intel text says that their drivers are the generic type and your manufacturer, in this case HP, has most likely supplied your PC with manufacturer modified drivers. And so say all of us! 

So as now stuck again, can HP offer other solutions apart from their troubleshooters, which I tried more than one occasion,  or HP Assistant, also tried?

Can you kindly provide any other steps to be taken to resolve this issue?

With thanks,

Arkeyne       

HP Recommended

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to try manually installing the H61 Intel Chipset installation utility I posted as follows.

1. I would remove the add on card you bought before proceeding as that may be preventing the smbus controller driver from installing.

2. To manually install the driver...

Go to the device manager and click on the smbus controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.   Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp56697.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

The hardware ID is in that driver setup information file for the cougar chipset...so I know it is the right driver.

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22.DeviceDesc%=NO_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22

HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestion to try manually installing the H61 Intel Chipset utility driver. I shall remove the USB Card Adapter beforehand so as not to disrupt the installation of the driver for SM Bus Controller as per your instructions.

As I understand it, this type of Device Manager error is classified and caused by either missing driver or one misbehaving, corrupted driver. And a new correct driver installation or re-installation will usually cure these type of errors.

Can I ask you to confirm that this Device Manager error cannot be caused by anything else, but a faulty driver or incorrect 

installation method of a driver?

I won't be able to attend to my friend's PC until next Tuesday and then I shall report back if your suggestion was a succesful one or not. 

Thanks,

Arkeyone 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, normally that is the only reason the smbus controller would be showing up like that in the device manager. 

No driver is installed.

Usually when the auto install doesn't work, manually installing the driver using the method I posted is successful.

HP Recommended

Hi Provost or any kind HP Expert person standing nearby,

I tried to install a driver for SM Bus Control sp 566997 (as recommended by Provost) manually few times, but it just does not seem to kick in. After the restart, I keep getting error codes: 

Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

Alternatively getting Device Manager code 28, as in install the driver? 

On suggestion from Provost I did unplug newly purchased Startech USB 2.0 PCI Express Card adapter from the motherboard before attempting installation of the driver so as not to disrupt installation of the driver.  

Since both automatic installation and the manual installation of this driver have not been succesfull, what else is there to do in order to get this SM Bus Controller working?

Many thanks,

Arkeyone   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.