Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-119ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 4-year-old Pavilion 500-119ea desktop and on startup I get the error message 'Error 511-CPU fan not detected'.

I press 'F1 to boot' and the computer starts up and runs OK (it's very slow but I think that's a different problem).

I removed the side panel and checked the CPU fan power supply lead by disconnecting it and reconnecting and it seemed perfectly secure.

Next I observed the CPU fan when I powered up. It gave a little kick but that was all. When I tried to help it get started by flicking it with my finger, it felt completely dead, but after trying this for a while it eventually started up. When it got going, it seemed to run smoothly.

There was surprisingly little fluff on the fan and heat sink (it's over four years old) but I gave it a good clean anyway with compressed air but that made no difference to the fan's behaviour at startup.

It looks like it would be easy to renew the fan but I don't know what would be a suitable replacement. I'd rather fit a new one than a pre-used. Please can you advise me?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Anonymous

The fan is an 80mm, PWM 4 pin design.   If you look down thru the corner holes of the fan, you will see screws into the metal heatsink. No need to remove the heatsink, as you just want the fan.

Before you yell at me,  this link shown here is for the pictures.  It shows the screw heads into the metal heatsink.  OK... Coolermaster part number for the fan is CM12V, and can be searched as "coolermaster cm12v". Some examples.

Amazon lists the CoolerMaster Part code as FA08025M12LPA

Better price based on Part code

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply; I'll look up the replacement fan you suggested.

Another idea of mine on which I'd appreciate your thoughts: When I powered up the computer and the CPU fan gave only a little kick, I tried to give it some help by flicking the blades with my finger, but it felt as though there was no power at all to it until it eventually got going.

Do you think there was some software or firmware denying the fan its power? In which case, is there anything else I could try first, before changing the fan?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.