Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 610-1030Y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is it possible to keep my existing model HP TouchSmart 610-1030Y 4 GB 64 Bit system and just pay for the Windows 10 upgrade software? Or do I have to get an entirely new computer system?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may still be able to get the upgrade to W10 for free.

See this link...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Since HP does not support your PC for W10, you may find that some devices may not work correctly, so I would not risk spending $139 to buy W10 for your PC.

HP Recommended

so in other words, I should "bite the bullet" and buy a new computer? 

HP Recommended

I would try to get the free upgrade and see how it works.

If it works to your liking, then you are in luck.

If not, you buy a new PC.

You have 30 days to revert back to W7 if things don't turn out right as long as you don't delete any files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=2XBkxWalNhk&feature=emb_logo

If you decide to upgrade and have any issues with drivers, let me know, and I will see what I can do to help you out.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I have another question for you. So this is my first time on this forum. I am concerned that the public can see my IP address. is there a way to hide personal information such as this on my profile?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't believe you can hide your IP address.

I know there are no profile settings to do that.

HP Recommended

sorry to keep hammering you with my questions. But one last question is this. So I am not a techy and I only use my existing old desktop HP TouchSmart 610-1030Y for surfing the net and misc. stuff. I don't even use the touch screen feature. But since I'm not wealthy, and I should probably buy a new computer system, what would you suggest for an "all in one" system: I do like my remote keyboard and mouse. I'm hoping I can get something for under $300 (yes, I know thats cheap), but I don't do gaming or hard core computer stuff. My existing old 4GB 64 bit system is more than adequate, it's just the "planned obsolescence" lol, thats is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 10 from good ol Windows 7 which has served me well. I would likethe new computer to have at least Windows 10, and like MS office or something so I can use outlook, word, excel, etc. I use yahoo for my emailing.

Any suggestions a very smart person like you would have for me would be appreciated.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for you because:

I never owned an all in one PC.

All of my HP desktop PC's are business-class tower PCs, and my newest one is from 2011 that I upgraded to W10.

They run so well, that I am in no hurry to upgrade them to newer models, and if I did, I would be buying one of the new Elitedesk 800 G4 or G5 models for $1,000 or so.

You may want to start a new topic on the subject of buying a new AIO PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. Have a nice day (or night wherever you may be).

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a great day too!

It's 12:17 in the afternoon in rainy St. Louis, MO.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.