Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Yes, I realized shortly after I posted, that my question was kinda stupid. I researched HP keyboards, and it seems that modern keyboards handle key input differently than I expected, and that it is to some extent controlled outside the computer (in the keyboard itself), I suppose for performance reasons. (Probably why there is no BIOS option.) Thus, if one wants different functionality from a keyboard it must be done through remapping software. 

I would complain about the lack of common sense in making an atypical functionality the default for a keyboard whose functions can only be altered through remapping, but I have read enough posts here to know that those complaints will fall on deaf ears. I have since swapped my keyboard out for my mid-90's keyboard that I had as a teenager, and though clunky, it works as a keyboard should. Problem solved.

Thanks to Scoobis; I'd mark his response as the answer, but I don't see the option to do so---and, if it is the answer, it seems to be not much of an answer for someone who likes everything about their new keyboard except for the way it works.

HP Recommended

I have same issue in my HP Pavillion Desktop 590-p0xxx with same layout keyboard. The only solution I have is to buy another keyboard which has standard keys.

The HP creators of this modern keyboard is not using their heads. I am AutoCAD user I use all F keys from F1 to F12 all the time. It is very annoying that you need to press fn and then F3 or F8. 

HP, if you want sales from AutoCAD users go back to standard keyboard. 

HP Recommended

This is unbelievable behaviour, HP loses an credit after this.

HP Recommended

This worked for me ! didn't even realize there is a "fn lock" marked on that left Shift key. Thanks for the tip! 

HP Recommended

Hello, HP employee -- 

I find your answer to this very real dilemma quite dismissive.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD HP INCLUDE A KEYBOARD THAT DOESN'T ALLOW ONE TO CHANGE THE FN KEYS???!!!!  And the questioner was exactly right -- the BIOS gives nothing to change to help with this either!!!   

My computer is new. It's an HP Pavillion Desktop 595-p0084.  It came with a keyboard and mouse.  The keyboard looks exactly like the one in the picture in this post. 

The keyboard should be replaced! 

I have registered this computer on your registration site.  I think that HP should come up with a REAL remedy here.  Do you know how much time I've wasted on this already???   😞   I really really would like to be able to press a function key without having to hit the Fn at the same time!

HP Recommended

Green Ninja -- There isn't.  How did it work for you?  You must have a different keyboard.

HP Recommended

I just purchased a new HP desktop that shipped with the chicklet keyboard and spent way too much time trying to figure out what was wrong with it before finding this thread.

I am baffled by the HP responses here-- you shipped a keyboard without basic functionality? Function keys are a standard part of every computer keyboard. It makes no sense to disable them by default and not allow users to make it restore to a normal keyboard.  Responding that it just doesn't work is not acceptable. A keyboard that doesn't work needs to be fixed or replaced.

HP Recommended

Any fixes for this yet.  I have the issue with HP Pavilion purchased one-month ago.

No option to make a change in BIOS.

HP Recommended

I ended up just going back to my old keyboard that I was able to adjust the way I want it.  It's a Logtech.  I love it.  But I'm still disgruntled about the crummy keyboard that came with my brand new HP desktop computer!  Oh, and by the way ... the batteries that came with the mouse had to be replaced within a couple weeks!  WTH?  I struggled for a bit because I had no idea that a brand new mouse would be faulty ... because of the batteries when I had just purchased it!  I thought it was something else and fiddled about unnecessarily!  😞

HP Recommended

I also had this same exact issue. Changed they keyboard and all is well. I'm angry about 2 things... first HP sells me a keyboard that is flawed. Unacceptable. Second, tech support does NOT tell me about the issue with the keyboard... rather they want to escalate me to "advanced software support" where I would be charged a fee for them to fix my issue with a registry edit. WHAT??? Come on HP. I pay good money for your products... the least you can do for me is provide a fully functional keyboard and SOME software assistance with my 2 day old computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.