Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 23se-d494
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Fan has started to run constantly, even at startup (cold). According to the BIOS it is at 1200 rpm. It is also starting to be loud, possibly indicating failure. The question I have is 1) is the constant running due to a software or driver issue, or is it due to a fan hardware fault?; 2) if the latter, will replacing the fan solve the problem? I don't want to replace the fan only to have it fail again / become loud if an underlying software or driver issue is to blame. 

So far I have done all the obvious troubleshooting:

- adjusted power saving

- checked for dust

- checked for Windows updates and driver updates

- checked the hardware via the HP diagnostics accesed via esc - F2 at startup

- looked for device issues

It is pretty noisy all the time. Any thoughts? BIOS dates from 2014 but HP website did not suggest an update. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Replaced the fan blower and this seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully H/W only issue and not S/W. Will repost if there is a recurrence. Fan is now nice and quiet!

There was an excellent tear down guide at: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Envy+23-d060qd+TouchSmart+Fan+Replacement/52213

The only snag I had was replacing the back cover. Have now determined that one has to push the cover up first to engage the tabs at the top, then snap the lower part down. Tried the other way first and there was some alarming bending of the display when the center top tab would not engage... 

Correct part for anyone needing to do this: Generic New Laptop CPU Cooling Fan For HP TouchSmart 320 520 Envy 23 Series Replacement Part Number 656514-001

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi SD_PhD

Have you determined if it is a processor fan or a system fan that is causing the problem?

Check Task Manager for any process which may be consuming high CPU or memory cycles. This will kick fans into high gear.

Run the free Speccy Portable to check system temps. High temps will also kick fans into high gear.

Tom

HP Recommended

As far as I have been able to tell there is only a CPU fan on the all-in-one desktop Envy23. It is separate from the CPU but there is a large heat sink that connects them. The fan activity does not seem to be temperature related as it runs all the time at constant speed from initial power-on to hours of operation. I did check the internal temperatures including CPU and they are under 35C even after being on for a long time. Will check Task Manager, although the constant moderate speed argues against that. It would be great to hear from someone at HP if that fan is actually supposed to run all the time at low speed. In that case it would be clear that it is an incipient bearing failure or the like that is causing the loud noise. 1200 RPM shouldn't be that noisy. I have ordered a new blower but don't want a software/driver issue to just cause it to fail too eventually. But if the fan is supposed to run all the time and has just become noticeable due to a mechanical issue then the change out should fix things. Anyone at HP care to weigh in?

HP Recommended

Replaced the fan blower and this seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully H/W only issue and not S/W. Will repost if there is a recurrence. Fan is now nice and quiet!

There was an excellent tear down guide at: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Envy+23-d060qd+TouchSmart+Fan+Replacement/52213

The only snag I had was replacing the back cover. Have now determined that one has to push the cover up first to engage the tabs at the top, then snap the lower part down. Tried the other way first and there was some alarming bending of the display when the center top tab would not engage... 

Correct part for anyone needing to do this: Generic New Laptop CPU Cooling Fan For HP TouchSmart 320 520 Envy 23 Series Replacement Part Number 656514-001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.