Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6300 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased a refurbished HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF PC , Product # D8C56UT , Serial # MXL3360NK1. It has windows 10 pro 64-bit o.s. installed, it's got 8 gb of ram memory installed . The computer functions properly so far except for the (4) usb 2.0 port's on the front side of the computer. I've plugged in a usb flash drive into the port's & nothing happens, it seems as though the usb port's aren't connected in some way. Has anyone ever encountered this issue, and if so how did you fix it ?

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If one of the ports is damaged, then it could be that they are disconnected. or it could be the damage has caused the motherboard some problem with the devices as a group.  It might be possible to replace the USB ports.  Here is a listing on EBay

https://www.ebay.com/i/282979885903?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid...

You can see the header plugs are color coded for the header I spoke of in the earlier post.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

The front USB ports are supported by a USB header where they connect to the motherboard.  I suppose it could be possible that they are disconnected.  In order to check the physical connection, it is necessary to open the case to verify.  It appears the USB headers are located behind the memory slots.  Colors on the picture I looked at were yellow, green, and blue.  There is also a note on the motherboard edge of "Front USB" near those header connections.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan,

Thank you for your reply, as I'm somewhat tech oriented I do my best not to bother anyone unless I need some extra help. I've been researching this issue & saw where there are some usb settings in the bios. The reason I haven't changed anything in there is due to the fact that on this particular model there are 4 usb 2.0 port's on the front, 2 usb 2.0 port's on the back, and 4 usb 3.0 port's as well. The two usb 2.0 port's on the back seem to be functioning properly. I did see on the front usb port's where the port on the far left side has some damage, I can see the electrical contact's inside the port housing, when I first started examining the computer some of the contact's were touching each so I spread them out evenly. There's normally a plastic piece inside each port that guides the male usb connector into the port properly, that piece is missing. I'm wondering if there might be some kind of overload protection...such as a fuse on that connection ? Of course like you mentioned at the first of your reply, the person that I got the computer from might have saw the damage on the port and just disconnected the cable's/etc. that go to that usb panel. I'm so glad that I don't give up easily, I'd really like to get these port's functioning again.

David 

HP Recommended

If one of the ports is damaged, then it could be that they are disconnected. or it could be the damage has caused the motherboard some problem with the devices as a group.  It might be possible to replace the USB ports.  Here is a listing on EBay

https://www.ebay.com/i/282979885903?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid...

You can see the header plugs are color coded for the header I spoke of in the earlier post.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan,

You have went above and beyond what a normal user would do to help another user. I'll check those link's out. The great thing for me is the fact that the usb ports on the back are functioning properly. Thanks so much, one day if I live long enough I'll break down and buy a new computer. If I stay alive till next february I'll turn 72 year's young. Stay Safe 

David 

HP Recommended

Glad to help.  Good luck and hang in there.

Staying Safe.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

TheOldMan,

I just thought I'd let you know that I looked inside my computer this morning and all of the connection's that plug-into the motherboard appear to be connected properly. I went ahead and placed an order for the usb / audio connection block using the link included in one of your message's. It may not correct my issue, but at least it will improve the looks of my computer. While I'm thinking about it, do you know where I might be able to obtain a newer version of the bios for my computer, the current bios is pretty old, here's the information about it: BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard K01 v02.90, 7/16/2013 , BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard , BaseBoard Product 339A . System Model HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF , System Type x64-based PC , System SKU D8C56UT#ABA . Thanks for any additional assistance you might be able to provide to me if you care to.
Sincerely,
David Wright

HP Recommended

With that older version - v2.90 - there is a slight problem  The newest version is here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-compaq-pro-6300-small-form-factor-pc/5...

If you check the info, it says "If upgrading from a v02.xx to this version, v03.00, the user MUST FIRST FLASH TO v02.99.
If not, upgrading to v03.xx will be rejected. "  So the v2.99 is available - scroll down on the linked page.  Click on the Revision history" tab and then scroll down to find the revision downloads.

BTW: I see on one of those revisions it is noted "adds better USB support."

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

TheOldMan,

I know that you are not an employee of HP, but I really think that you could be. I've always been taught that if available it's a good idea to keep the bios updated, so on that note I'm going to go ahead and do so..thanks again for ALL of your help !! 

David

HP Recommended

Thank You.

Being that you are running Windows 10, it might require alternative methods to get the BIOS to run other then just downloading and double clicking on the exec to get it to run.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.