Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion HPE H8-1145
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have run into a problem while trying to upgrade the graphic card in my H8-1145. Here are my computer specs:

Model H8-1145

Product number QX338AA#ABC

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19041.630

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz

2x 4GB Hynix 1333MHz

Bios 7.16

Power supply has been upgraded to Corsair CX500

Current graphic card is GTX 660 and has had no issues

Graphic driver is version 457.30

The card I am trying to install is an EVGA GTX 780Ti SC, which is used and was working fine in the other computer. When I try to boot the computer, it will go to the blue HP screen and get stuck there. I am not able to access the startup menu by pressing esc. After about 10 seconds, the tower will beep once. This single beep is repeated 3 times, and then there are 3 rapid beeps. At this point the monitor looses signal.

Any help you can offer with this issue would be greatly appreciated

When I return the GTX 660 to the computer. It works just fine. The 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC has a legacy BIOS that cannot support any graphics card newer than the nVidia GT(X) 600 series, which is why the card you are trying to install won't work.

In order for the GTX 780Ti or any nvidia card newer than one of the GT(X) 600's models to work, your PC needs to have a BIOS revision of 8.1x or higher.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC has a legacy BIOS that cannot support any graphics card newer than the nVidia GT(X) 600 series, which is why the card you are trying to install won't work.

In order for the GTX 780Ti or any nvidia card newer than one of the GT(X) 600's models to work, your PC needs to have a BIOS revision of 8.1x or higher.

HP Recommended

9 year old PC .  Some of these PC came with a weak 300watt PSU , that yOU, if yes this hopeless, that.

other models,  (product code)

QX338AA shows as 300watts

if the PSU was upgarded then next is the missing GPU power cables pair.

my HPs all can run any card, I want, so long as not overloading the PSU or having PCI-e, aux power jacks cable missing.

my NEW GTX1650 runs on all PCs here, all dell and all HP. every one, and is a brand new TURN class GPU chipped card,

mine is 75watts max  not the 100w. 

so of power is ok PSU and the 2 cables to GPU are not missing we land on UEFI conundrum.

ahhhhhh you are using secure  boot mode , so dont do that. end that and all cards run.

secure boot blocks new cards, (silly newer UEFI thinks new cards security threat and hackers at large in the room with you no less (funny no)

turn off secure boot, microsoft.com has page telling now to do this

or ask gamers   upgrade cards every year, endless upgrades .  (not me but vast do)

EVGA GTX 780Ti SC (super clocked grade)  got it.

nice post with full name, not truncated as others do.

that card is  honking 250watt card, all by itself and must have all GPU 12volt AUX power wires and pins can connectors wired to power, ir it will fail at all levels hard fail.

the card I see , shows 6 pin and 8pin jacks top rear, let me tell you all that must be wired to power

those 2 aux cables flow 15amps of current from PSU,   or fails.

all run here with correct power on those 2 jacks.  what PSU is this.?

but all are not in secure boot mode.

recap

PSU is no good 300watt ever to run a 250w GPU card.

PSU cables to your GPU missing  6 and 8 pin jack both wired to PSU. (are they cables missing? both are REQUIRED.

and last secure boot, but the above is wrong for sure so this IS MOOT for now.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks for the help. Your answer confirms what I was worried about. Unfortunate that it won't work. But at least now I can stop looking for the problem.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.