Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2104ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP Pavilion p6-2104ed years ago but wanted to change the GPU. I transported all the hardware into a new case (Coolermaster 280), upgraded the standard PSU into a Seasonic 650 W 80+ Gold, and bought a new GPU (GeForce GTX 960 2G).

The computer works perfectly in the new case with the old GPU (HD Radeon 7550) but does not boot with the nw GPU.

When I start the computer, the first start up screen shows up and a total of three beeps appear before the screen turns black with a little flickering dash in the upper left corner. It is like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9F0LWwZD3w

-I did connect the GPU with a PCI cable for the power and its lights and fans turn on.

-There should be enough power to run everything (650W).

-I deinstalled the drivers before installing the new GPU.

-I updated the BIOS via this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-2100-desktop-pc-series/5187028/model/.... (not completely sure if I succeeded tough)

-I doubt that there is a problem with my RAM as the three beeps can indicate because the computer works fine with the old GPU.

What can be the problem and how can I solve it?

-Does it maybe have to do with Legacy / UEFI settings? The MoBo should be compatible (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03235578).

-Is there a problem with the BIOS?

-Does it maybe help to disable the integrated GPU? If yes, how. I cant seem to find the right settings.

-Am I misunderstanding something?

An overview of all me specs (Partly Dutch):

-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 MHz, 4 core('s), 8 logische processor(s)
-Mobo: Foxconn (H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2))
-BIOS-versie/datum AMI 7.16, 23-3-2012
-Geïnstalleerd fysiek geheugen (RAM) 6,00 GB
-Totaal fysiek geheugen 5,98 GB
-Beschikbaar fysiek geheugen 2,50 GB
-Totaal virtueel geheugen 12,0 GB
-Beschikbaar virtueel geheugen 7,35 GB
-Ruimte voor wisselbestand 5,98 GB
-Functioning GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7500
-Not Functioning GPU: MSI GeForce 960 GTX 2G

Help is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After installing the different mobo I finally managed to get the new gpu to work. Thank you all for the advice.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Sadly it will never work. You need a mobo bios update from HP and that PC is EOL with no further updates ever coming out. Time for a all new build or snag a new mobo then use the parts you have left if you choose to go that route. The newer cards need full UEFI support.  

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

Could you explain to me how you reached that conclusion. Not that I do not believe you, it is more that I want to learn about it.

And there is really no way to upgrade or transform my BIOS into UEFI?

And, lastly, do you have any recommendations for a new mobo?

HP Recommended

Please understand that I am not picking on you. What I am about to say is to inform others.  When you have an older machine that had WIN 7, is is always best to state that fact. It really sets the stage for an accurate reply.

The actual problem is:

(1)  Your motherboard is rev7.16 BIOS, and is commonly called Legacy.

(2) Modern graphic cards like the GTX 960 require rev 8 BIOS, and is commonly called UEFI.

Your either stuck with the 600 series, like the EVGA GTX 660-670, or a Hybrid card that supports Legacy via a switch.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I understand that and appreciate your reponse 🙂

I am trying to find out where I can read about the UEFI requirement of the GTX 960. Again, not that I do not believe you but I want to educate myself about such things.

I guess I have to decide about the GPU then. Or might updating the mobo and keeping the GTX also be an option? Or am I then ending up with other compatibility issues?

HP Recommended

This afternoon I am going to try to get the GPU to work with a different mobo (MSI Z77A G45: https://eu.msi.com/Motherboard/Z77AG45.html#hero-specification). 

If I understand everything correctly now, this one has UEFI which should make it compatible with the GTX 960. Am I right in thinking it is compatible or do I overlook something again?

HP Recommended

If you install a different motherboard, you will create a new computer. It will cease to be an HP product, and the OEM Windows software will be non-activated.     Best wishes.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

After installing the different mobo I finally managed to get the new gpu to work. Thank you all for the advice.

HP Recommended

@Winterpeen wrote:

Was you able to reuse the case? Or did you have to buy another new one with the mobo as well? 

HP Recommended

What I did in chronological order:

1: bought GTX 960
2: did not fit in the HP case
3: bought new case (Coolmaster 280)
4: PSU broke down. Bought new one
5: installed everything in new case. PC did not boot properly.
6: used friend's mobo. Everything works fine now.
7: learned, do not buy a premade pc without reviewing every part installed (the mobo installed was apparently not the best one)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.