Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

A few weeks ago I started my PC (HP Pavilion 570 1T HDD) and a blue screen appeared which read: "SMART Hard Disk Error. The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics."

The next screen says "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure. Failing Drive: SATA1 Failing Attribute: # B8

So I backed up everything to an external drive. I purchased a 1TB SSD and EZ GIG cloning software. After cloning, the SSD did not boot. I deleted everything from the SSD and cloned again using AOMEI Backupper. I could actually see that everything cloned, but the SSD will not boot. If I try to start the PC with the SSD connected I cannot enter BIOS to make any changes to the Boot Order. I can only boot using the HDD and then I can connect the SATA to the SSD. Windows explorer recognizes the drive, but any attempts to get into BIOS fails. 

Did cloning the HDD also move the failing attribute to the SSD?

If my PC does not recognize SSD at startup, how can I migrate Win10 so it will boot?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Flock17 , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  Also, a link to the SSD that you bought would be helpful.  I want to make certain that it is compatible with your motherboard.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi @Old_geekster 

Product number: Z5P29AA#ABA and the SSD is a Crucial mx500. Amazon.com: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1(Z)...

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Flock17!

I went to Crucial's website and the SSD that you bought is recommended for your computer.  I can't see any reason why it won't work.  I suggest that you contact their Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  If they recommend one of their products it is guaranteed to work.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. Contacting Crucial will be my next step.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Flock17!

I would appreciate hearing what they have to say.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.