Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 27-a227c All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sister just purchased the HP 27-a227c Pavilion.

The specs tell you there is an M.2 128GB SSD as well as a 1TB 3.5" Mechanical SATA hard drive.

What is the connector for the SSD? What physical size(s) are supported by the connector?

What is the type of interface? PCIE? If so, how many lanes? SATA?

I have an HP Envy 24n014 All in One that I had to take apart before I could be sure it supported

drives using the M.2 4 lane PCIE NVMe 2280 Type M connector where I installed a 500GB Samsung M.2 960 EVO , which is the kind of drive I would like to use in my sister's computer.

I would like specs on the actual drive used also if possible.

Wouldn't mind getting motherboard info and pictures.

By the way, you need a 2.0 x 3mm screw for the M.2 mounting which was not supplied for my Envy.

That's it.

Simple you would think, but hard to get good info. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Insulyn,

Here is a list of the internal parts.  The internal HD is a 3.5" Sata 6 Gb/sec.

Within the list, take note of the 2.5 to 3.5 Bracket Assembly.  Likely for an SSD.

Specification document. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Insulyn,

Here is a list of the internal parts.  The internal HD is a 3.5" Sata 6 Gb/sec.

Within the list, take note of the 2.5 to 3.5 Bracket Assembly.  Likely for an SSD.

Specification document. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The list of internal parts contains infomation that suggests that the motherboard connector supports an SATA3 M.2 SSD,  which is used with the same motherboard on a different product. After being referred to the internal parts list it specifies SATA3 as the interface. Further research found the the Palau-2GF motherboard used in other models had installed an SSD like the one described above. The motherboard picture has what looks like a 2242 type B connector with a single hold down screw (2.0x3mm) and may be the only size available, but the picture I found of the physical drive looks like a standard 2.5" SSD. The lan card specified is a 2230 size (3168.NGWG M.2 MOW) and matches the picture of the motherboard.

In any event, since this is not a 4 lane PCIE NVMe it will only provide sequential data transfers of up to around 550MB/s instead of up to 2500MB/s like my 500GB NVMe Samsung 960 EVO that I installed in my HP Envy 24n014 computer, which supports 4 lane PCIe3 M.2 2280 Type M connector SSD drives but did not include the screw.

As mentioned there is a 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter in the parts list, and the 1TB SATA III 3.5" 7200 rpm mechanical drive, so there may be space in the machine for 2 3.5" drives. I found a picture of the HP SSD 128 Gb M 2 SATA 3 Value Gnrc (901161-800 from the parts list) on www.hardware.nl and it looks like a standard 2.5" SATA drive with standard connectors so this may explain the adapter. The HP 901161-800 drive picture has 'Seagate' on it.

Thanks Dean (wb2001) for the link to the list of internal parts, but it is too bad the NVMe PCIe3 4 lane devices do not appear to be supported. Thanks for all the help. If my sister keeps the computer I will eventually take it apart and find out for myself what's really going on inside...if it were me I would insist on the NVMe PCIe3x4 M.2 Type M connector and 2280 size support, as I find my computer to be faster than anything I've ever seen. 6 seconds to boot, 5 seconds to load Photoshop 2015 CC. Any mistakes in the above are all me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.