Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 6300 COMPAQ PRO MICROTOWER
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I would like to know if I can add one of the following cards: RX 460, RX 560, GTX 1050, GTX 1050TI to the HP 6300 MT.  I watched some videos showing the PC with the 1050ti, but I didn't found any with the RX series. Can anyone confirm it?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Pcgamer0896,

Not sure where you got this 09/2012 model, but you need to perform the BIOS environment test.

Is it "BIOS" aka legacy or is it "UEFI" ?  If it's UEFI, your OK.  If it's BIOS, your NOT going to be happy.

The PCIEx16 GPU slot has a 75W max.   There is NO upgradeable PSU for these units. 

All the cards you mentioned are UEFI.  RX460 (75W),  RX560 draws 75W-100W).  GTX 1050 and 1050Ti both are 75W cards.

Your PSU does not support the 6pin or 8 pin PCIE power plug. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

There are a lot of specifics to consider when looking at video cards. I can say without a doubt that a RX 460, RX 550, or GTX 1050 will be compatibile with your PC, but there are so many variations that there will also be some that are not.

There are a few things to consider starting out. Cards come in different sizes andmay have different power requirements:

• Slot - The slot you will use is the PCIe x16 3.0 slot. That is the long black one. Any PCIe x16 2.0 or 2.1 card will also be compatible.
  • Length - Measure the distance in mm from the back of the case along the PCIe x16 slot to see how long of a card will fit. From a video I saw, it looks like you have a fair amount of space to work with.
  • Width - Most cards these days overhang the next slot over. Make sure the one next to it is empty or limit your search to one slot cards.
  • Power: You have a 320 watt power supply. You should stay away from cards that require more. Also, some video cards require a 6-pin power connection from the power supply. At 320 watts, I doubt your power supply even has one. If it does, many times it is labeled with either 'GPU' or 'PCIe' on the connector.

For example, here is a search I did on Newegg for new RX 550 and GTX 1050s (they don't sell RX 460 it appears) that use a PCIe x16 slot. There are 20 results. From there, I would go to the 'Max GPU Length' filter and tick off the length that I can fit. It does look like there aren't any long 3-fan cards, so my bet is that length will not be an issue.   🙂   Next, what kind of connection do you need (Display Port, HDMI, DVI, VGA, dual HDMI, etc)? Tick that off. You may also want to set a price range. My results ranged from $89 to $265. Tick that off. When you have a short enough list, check the specifications of the cards for the power requirements. Once I have narrowed the field down, I start looking closely at user reviews.

From there, hopefully that will give you the tools you need to search other sites or locally for a card that will fit your needs.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer Wb2001

I haven't bought it yet. I've found a good deal on this desktop and I'll buy it soon. Regarding the BIOS, I read in the manual that it is UEFI. So I won't have any problems, will i?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer Red5_1

What worries me most, is the power consumption because rx 460 manufacturers recommend a 400w psu and mine is 320w. Do you think it'll cause instabilities? Or should i go with a 1050 which requires 300w?

HP Recommended

I don't suggest getting a graphics card that has a requirement greater than your power supply. You want a stable system.

As far as Wb2001's comment on the wattage of the PCIe slot, it would be a good idea to look into that further...and it is a quick thing to do. I would trust the what the PC says waaaaaaaaaaay more than a manual.

HP Recommended

So, I did my research and  i concluded that: 1) The PCIe x16 Slot is 75w (The SFF has an 25w slot. Mine is the Microtower) 2) The PSU is 320w without any 6 or 8 pin connectors 3) I can add a graphics card with a power consumption lower than 300w (e.g 1050 ti) and without any connectors. 4) The only thing I'm not sure is the BIOS. The manual says it is UEFI, but i can't check it, because i don't have the machine, yet.

If it is legacy, i can change it to UEFI, right?

HP Recommended

You can set the boot mode to UEFI if the BIOS supports switching.

Since you do not have the PC, that leaves you with what you found in the manual. Not ideal, but that's life. I would think that it is more likely that you will be ok with that PC...and yes, I would expect the GTX 1050 ti to work fine under those conditions.

HP Recommended

Yes you can! But some electronicaly menual changes required.....in your card...there are 6pin connector required. But this cpu power have no any 6 pin or 8 pin connector....i have a same issu....i solved it by this trick..

1= there are 3 pin at one side. It have a both negative pins.

2= other 3pins are a positive ...

Just identify the negative epins and attached it with direct black wire of hdd power connector.

The other 3 positive need a yello wire of hdd connecto.

Remember! You need aa connect both black wire at both 3 pins via soldring element.

You have don! Be carefull, try it at your own risk. Thank u!

HP Recommended

I have the same Computer it is UEFI I have a AMD RX 560 LP in it and I haven't had a problem. I also threw in a SSD a hybrid 24 GB RAM a i7 3700 and left the HDD that came with it in. It's packed inside but everything works great. For gaming I don't know Benchmark says 82 FPS. I use mine for cracking hashes, I have no complaints, no overheating all is well. If your trying to use the RX with Kali Linux, Hashcat, Pyrit or John the Ripper save yourself the headache and get a Nvidia I got mine to work but it took a while. Other than that make sure it's LP low profile a regular sized card wont fit. I was worried about power so I did upgrade that, it's hard not impossible you have to cut the chassis and do some rewiring but it can and does work. It's not worth it though it worked exactly the same as with the stock PSU. The only reason I went that far was it made me mad that they would close the system off like that, but it really wasn't worth the trouble. It's a good computer I got mine for 65 bucks threw a couple hundred in around three if that and I have a pretty good computer not 4K but good enough. If you want top of the line that's a few thousand at least. Good luck, have fun.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.