Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy HP 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I oened my HP Envy 750-124 to add a GeForce GTX 950 video card and could not find the 6 pin PCI power supply cord to power the card. There is a PCI Express slot present on the mother board, but no way to connect the card to the power supply. So what am I missing?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @DFB2.

The difference in the two models is that the Envy 700-074 came with a 460W PSU installed.  This would be possibly enough to run the GTX 950 properly.  Even some of these PSU's don't have the additional power adapters.  It depends a lot on the other components that are installed in the computer.  Video card manufacturers give themselves some room for all situations.  I normally recommend buying a PSU that is at least 100W above the manufacturer's stated minimum requirements.  I hope this explains the situation better.

Here is the Product Specifications for the PSU in the 700-074:

Form Factor: internal ATX
Total wattage: 460W
Nominal input voltage range:
100-127V/3A (50-60Hz)
200-240V/2A (50-60Hz)
Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)
* This power supply has an LED to indicate a possible failure condition when LED is off and power is connected.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DFB2, welcome to the forum.

The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is only 300W.  It is not enough power to run the GTX 950.  You will have to upgrade the PSU.  You should go to the manufacturer's website to find the wattage required to run it.  Also, make certain that the PSU has the appropriate additional power connectors.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. 

What you say about the power supply surprises me because my prior HP Envy 700-074 had a 300 watt power supply and handled that graphics card without any problem.  I had understood that 350 Watts is the recommended power supply fo the GTX 950, but not the minimum.  Anyway, the 700-074 came with a 6 pin PCI power plug.  I'm surpised that the 750-124 does not.  Oh well, live and learn. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @DFB2.

The difference in the two models is that the Envy 700-074 came with a 460W PSU installed.  This would be possibly enough to run the GTX 950 properly.  Even some of these PSU's don't have the additional power adapters.  It depends a lot on the other components that are installed in the computer.  Video card manufacturers give themselves some room for all situations.  I normally recommend buying a PSU that is at least 100W above the manufacturer's stated minimum requirements.  I hope this explains the situation better.

Here is the Product Specifications for the PSU in the 700-074:

Form Factor: internal ATX
Total wattage: 460W
Nominal input voltage range:
100-127V/3A (50-60Hz)
200-240V/2A (50-60Hz)
Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)
* This power supply has an LED to indicate a possible failure condition when LED is off and power is connected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.