Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi Bufulu,

I'm not sure if HP do a bigger supply for this machine, and I'd be reluctant to try an aftermarket supply as I just wouldn't trust it. I'll have to do some digging around to see if theres something more powerfull available by HP for these machines as it would b totaly awesome to get the 4gb Quadro working.

As for the AMD Cards, I bought them off ebay, heatsinks attached. I was quite lucky actually, as I've looked multiple times afterwards and not found the cards with heatsinks attached. As for the quadro; no it didnt come with a heatsink, so I ordered the correct part number from HP Directly, cost me about £25, but was worth it. 

Part Number - 689369-001

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=4134049D8C1C466C8D8A831090B9445D&SearchIn=P...

The Ram installed is HyperX Impact 1866mhz DDR3 SODIMM Gaming Ram, but the motherboard clocks out at 1600mhz, so not achieving its full potential. Still like lightining for a machine this size, boots in 10 seconds flat from cold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VMCUBK4/ref=asc_df_B00VMCUBK458401968/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=221...

Delidding and using Thermal Grizzly under and over the IHS makes all the difference. Intels stock thermal compound is rubbish and only gets worse with age - and on a 4th Gen CPU, would have probably been on there a fair few years too. I'm getting idle temps under 30, ave 27/28 and fully laden never gets more than 68 degrees. Turbo holds out for ages.

Little secret - if your confident enough to do it - take everything apart and out of the box. Clean the motherboard, all pcb's and electrical components with IsoPropl achohol and leave safely to one side. Put everything else - including the fans and the heatsink - through the dishwasher on a 30 degree wash - Max 40 Degrees quick wash if your dishwasher doesnt do 30. Dry everything thoroughly - leave for a day to dry also, then put it all back together. Everything comes out like new and theres not a spec of dust to be found anywhere in the machine or heatsink. The Fan blades spin like new, no drag, and the machine runs that little bit quiter and looks amazing too, just put a little (tiny amount) of white lithium grease under the fan bearing again to keep it running smooth. I've done this over 10 times now - Ive got a second dishwasher just for computer parts now. No doubt ill get some stick for it here... but it works a dream and everything is like new again!

As for overclocking, theres no extended options on the bios for these machines that I'm aware of, so stock speeds unfortunately, but what with only 2 tiny fans in there anyway and mostly laptop components, I doubt it would be much worth it.

Kindest Regards

Jamil @ Spacia Systems

Jamil @ Spacia Systems
HP Recommended

There are larger power supplies that work fine.  Do the 4GB Nvidia cards fail the same as the AMD 7650 did before you got the 180 watt supply?

HP Recommended

No luck with the AMD 7650A I bought.  The screen goes blank at random for a second or two regardless of temperatures, resolution, graphic driver, CPU or GPU loads, display port cables, etc.  Must be a bad card.  I'm awaiting 8 GB more RAM (currently have 8 GB) to see if that makes any difference.  It really shouldn't but who knows when it comes to graphics issues.

Which display drivers are you using?  I prefer to not install any OEM drivers and let Windows (in this case 10 pro 64) install whatever it sees fit.  I've tried the original drivers provided by HP, the basic Microsoft Display Adapter driver, and a few different versions from AMD (installed by Catalyst and even the latest Crimson).

Could you post a photo of your heatsink installed?  My card does get quite warm under GPU stress tests and even real life loads.  It will hit 90 C with FurMark.  Does your rear case fan speed increase at all with GPU load/temp?  Mine does not.  I wonder if I have the right heatsink.  It's definitely installed properly and making great contact (only contacts the GPU itself though).  Holding a little fan above the heatsink cools it down to upper 50s under synthetic load rather quickly but this does nothing for the intermittent display blanking.  The display is perfectly stable at the same resolution with the integrated graphics (HD 4600), same DisplayPort (top one), same cable, same testing.  Frustrating.

HP Recommended

So the AMD 7650A works just fine now.  The display blanking issue was resolved by using a certified compliant DisplayPort 1.2 cable (although technically the version isn't supposed to matter).  I was unable to absolutely determine the exact solution other than the cable fixed it.  The original cable worked fine with my monitor with DP 1.2 enabled (in a menu of the monitor itself) with the Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics or the AMD 5450 MXM card, just not with the 7650A.  I don't know if the 7650A is the only one of these that actually makes use of version 1.2 specific features or that in combination with graphics driver support for version 1.2.  Regardless, the problem seems to be related to DisplayPort version 1.2 vs 1.1 and a certified cable resolved it.

HP Recommended

I tried an NVIDIA M2200M and it also doesn't work.  What's interesting is that the symptoms are different than the "inadequate power supply" symptoms.  There is clearly a problem during POST or other BIOS initialization because it emits a quick series of beeps followed by one beep a second (29 total) until it boots.  I am unable to enter the BIOS setup at all with the card installed (regardless if I use either DisplayPort or VGA connection).  I can only guess the VGA BIOS is not compatible somehow (whitelist?) or the card reports power requirements higher than the BIOS will allow (the M2200M is 50 watts vs. specified max of 35 allowed for the USDT).  I am using a 230 watt power supply, so overall power available to the system is not the issue.

I think the 29 (30 seconds) of beeping is some sort of countdown because the system does boot but reverts to the Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics.  I have to use either DisplayPort connection 2 and/or VGA though - DisplayPort connection 1 seems to be occupied by the MXM card and has no output when the NVIDIA card is installed.  Once booted, I was able to install graphics drivers completely successfully according to all the status messages during install (NVIDIA drivers performed a compatibitily check which passed).  Regardless which drivers I use, the card is not active and cannot be made to output anything to any video port connection.  It also shows Code 43 in Windows Device Manager.  I suspect the root cause of this is whatever is not completing properly during BIOS initialization.

I've tried a few different drivers but none allowed the card to be used in Windows.  I suspect I have to figure out and resolve (if possible) the BIOS issue before the card will have any output.  It's interesting that the card seems functional to the extent it is.  I can read the temp using HWiNFO, for example, and it's fine.  The card was from a DELL laptop.  Maybe there is something physically different that is preventing it from working in the USDT.  I suspect it is more likely a BIOS issue of some sort - either VGA BIOS or HP BIOS.  I am running the latest (2.75) BIOS from HP.  I'm not brave enough to try other BIOS for either.

HP Recommended

NVIDIA M2200M working!  It will only run in UEFI mode (not Legacy mode).  I don't know exactly why but most likely some sort of BIOS/compatibility issue.  Currently running the drivers installed automatically by Windows Update.  No reason to try other drivers at this point.  This card is running some benchmarks about 10 times faster than the 7650A!

HP Recommended

@bufulo wrote:

NVIDIA M2200M working!  It will only run in UEFI mode (not Legacy mode).  I don't know exactly why but most likely some sort of BIOS/compatibility issue.  Currently running the drivers installed automatically by Windows Update.  No reason to try other drivers at this point.  This card is running some benchmarks about 10 times faster than the 7650A!

Can you tell me where you got the M2200M, or the M2000M cards? I'd like something with more punch than the 7650A for my 800 G1 USDT, but I'm having trouble finding something.

Were they especially pricey?

HP Recommended

I've seen them go for less than $200 on eBay, often from DELL Precision Notebooks.  Typically closer to $250 and you'll usually need to fabricate or purchase some sort of heatsink.  The heatsink from the 7650A will fit, but is not quite adequate.

HP Recommended

@bufulo wrote:

I've seen them go for less than $200 on eBay, often from DELL Precision Notebooks.  Typically closer to $250 and you'll usually need to fabricate or purchase some sort of heatsink.  The heatsink from the 7650A will fit, but is not quite adequate.

Yep, that's what I've found. The M2000m's and M2200's are PRICEY! I'd like a little more performance than an M1000m, as that's what my company laptop has and it's just not quite as much as I'd really like.

Once I get up into the cost of a 2000 or 2200 plus making a heatsink, I might as well save the money and put the $300+ towards parts for the other machine I'm building.

HP Recommended

That is awesome! So glad you got it working, and really appreciate you posting your results here. I do apologies for the radio silence, I just haven't had the time to weigh in on the conversation. I will be taking your advice on the power supply and uefi settings, and hopefully get the quadro working too! Just need to find the time to do it!

Mine came without a heatsink too, but I ordered an original one from HP, i think i mentioned it in a post before. Was worth the money getting a good quality product, but stuff the stock thermal compound, get some thermal grizzly!

These Quadros will make all the difference when using Adobe or CAD software, or least for my kids anyway. Not letting them use my perfectly tuned up z800!

I was very lucky when purchasing the quadro M2000M MXM card, I made an offer and managed to get them for £90 each, maybe things were a little less expensive in the UK. But prices seem to have shot up recently. Not worth spending $200+ for sure, for an older architecture product.

Jamil @ Spacia Systems
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.