Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 8200 CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello world !

thank for reading all !

I have a 8200 since around 4 years. last mounth I have started to upgrade it.

so I was having a stock one with i5 2500 only a 2go HD ati video card. Was to use internet, office and photoshop CS.

modification are 16go of ram (4x4), a 650w psu with the psu adaptator. A radeon 550 2g ddr5. also I have 2 SSD and 3 harddrives. all working on win7 64 pro.

all was working fine and about I mounth that I play SW battlefield with no lags.

2 days ago I have decided to change to Windows 10, I have a stick and some serials. I allready have installed from this key 2 others computers, one is older.

so I have booted from the stick, erased one SSD and launched the installation, the files was copied and after the computer have to reboot. so the screen was black and nothing happened. so I have switched off the computer and if i reboot, nothing at screen, hard drives boots and nothing else. after 30 seconds, all fans start to run at max speed.

I have tried to remove one, two and all rams, without just some beep and nothing at screen. I have tried without disks and without video card (with the build in vga) with another dvi cable, with another screen, i have changed the psu with a stock HP one... nothing.

so i have removed all, removed the cpu and clean all parts and motherboard with anti dust, and after all is back the computer was booting normaly ! 

so no installed OS, I have tried again to install w10 and same issue. this time I have removed all, changed the CPU, memory, discs and still black screen... i was hopping that it boot again and try a w7 stick

this is a weird story just to share, I going to change the motherboard. just see if someone else have seen that before 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again

Solved with a bios update (2019 J09 one)

Here's the story and how to procced:

So I have tested another non-hp PSU with the atx PSU cable, and the computer have start with an "PSU fan error", so it's a win because the computer start at the first attemp. The second win is that windows 10 have been installed with no problems.

After the computer boot ramdomly, it work not at all attempts but, it can work sometimes.

So my idea was to update the bios, in HP website the latest bios was done in 2019, mine was 2011.

After the bios update the computer work like before and is normal ! I have installed a SSD and with again a fresh windows 10 installation without problems. Also I have replugged the original HP PSU.

All work fine, I have 2 mainboards now and I will test this solution with the second one and will post here 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

What BIOS version are you running on it?

I have two HP 8200 Elite CMT's, W10 Pro x64 latest build, 32 GB memory in each, nVidia GT1030's in both and both have a single 240 GB SSD.

I am running mine on BIOS v2.28 with no problems with either one.

If you installed BIOS rev 2.29 or newer, you probably will need to install W10 in EFI mode, because with those BIOS's (2.29 or newer), with W10 in legacy mode, the PC will take over 2 minutes to restart.  That may be what your problem is.

Doesn't happen on W7.

Just install W10 by selecting the EFI boot device (DVD or USB) instead of the legacy one.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul, 

Thank for replying 

I know for the bios. The problem is that the computer doesn't boot. Can't press F10 or anything else. If it was a EUFI problem, the computer should start and have at minimal, the bois prompt.

So how can a simple w10 installation can break the computer ? this is the weird thing of this story 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

Hopefully, you will be able to figure it out.

HP Recommended

Hello world 

So today my issue isn't resolved

I have changed the mainboard with a used one buyed for 15 euros. The new mainboard come with a cpu and his fan.

Plugged with 8go, 4x 2go samsung rams with HP sticker on. A 500go hardrive.

The result is the same than the other mainboard, the computer boot 1 time in 20 attemps, when it boot no bios prompt. The screen is Black and fans goes high after a couple of minutes. Have tried with 8 differents rams

The only thing i don't change is the AC power. I'll do some tests with the ATX adaptator 

HP Recommended

Hello again

Solved with a bios update (2019 J09 one)

Here's the story and how to procced:

So I have tested another non-hp PSU with the atx PSU cable, and the computer have start with an "PSU fan error", so it's a win because the computer start at the first attemp. The second win is that windows 10 have been installed with no problems.

After the computer boot ramdomly, it work not at all attempts but, it can work sometimes.

So my idea was to update the bios, in HP website the latest bios was done in 2019, mine was 2011.

After the bios update the computer work like before and is normal ! I have installed a SSD and with again a fresh windows 10 installation without problems. Also I have replugged the original HP PSU.

All work fine, I have 2 mainboards now and I will test this solution with the second one and will post here 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.