Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-one 27-dp0001np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Does anyone here from the community has the same model of mine:  HP All-in-one 27-dp0001np ?

Please gather and share you experience.

I just bought my first HP several weeks ago (December 2020).

I felt like to buy an all-in-one set and the HP choice felt right to me. But...

Just after several minutes after initial setup completion (some required software, firmware and BIOS update, following the HP setup instructions), an annoying noise came to my attention:

It's the fan of the system (I believe the CPU fan), that produces a noise that perturbs my focus and after sever hours of thinking and writing (the main component of my computer usage) it gives me an headache.

It is not a loud noise. If you would measure it in decibels, it is not loud. The issue is the frequency of the noise, it is not a linear noise, it oscillates. It is absolutely annoying!

When I check the fan speed (at BIOS - version F.20), the numbers come constantly oscillating between nearly 1080rpm and 1120rpm. I believe it is this inconsistency of speed could be the reason of the noise to be so annoying. 

I wonder if any HP community member has the same model of mine and  I would like to hear from your comments on your fan noise, if you find it normal or not.

From the HP technical support team I would like a practical solution to correct this perturbing noise, because at the moment I found none.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Meanwhile, HP released a new BIOS upgrade: F.21.

Nothing changed. Same annoying cranky wavy frequency noise, as before.(*)

At BIOS Setup Utility, Thermal section, I still can see the fan speed, and that is not steady: within a one second time period, it oscillates between a 1075 speed and 1125 speed, and is that permanent speed change that most surely makes the noise wavy, annoying and unbearable to deal with during several hours of usage.

If someone works in silence and has to be concentrated to perform, in short time the cranky and wavy domains your attention and then it becomes impossible to work, as that sound is the only thing you can focus on. And of course, in the end of the day, a big headache.     

Am I the only one with this problem?

That is a bit strange, as I already sent the computer to HP repair center (in two months after I bought the computer) and both times they returned saying no problem was found...

What to do? When I chose HP for a new computer, I wasn't expecting this.

I already asked for a return, or a possibility to change to another product, but HP does not have a return policy. The shop I bought the computer, says it does not accepts the return as the computer was already at HP repair center.

---------------------------------------------------------

(*) - I actually think that the BIOS upgrade (F.20 to F21) has worsted the situation, as fan just speed up after 10 minutes of functioning (only at the BIOS Setup Utility, no usage at all), from the 1075 to 1125 speeds cycle, up to 1383 to 1415 speeds cycle.

HP Recommended

Well, I have essentially the same computer (24") and definitely the same issue.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, and I'm sorry that you also experience it.  It's strange, most people have issues with the fan speed when it revs up, but it seems both of us are annoyed by the oscillating sound it makes when it's slow.  I almost wish I could set it to run just a little faster because that actually lessens the annoying aspect of the sound.

I've thought about replacing the fan, but I'm not sure what I should replace it with.  It would be nice to get an official answer or suggestion.

Anyway, this is just a secondary computer, and my simple solution is to go to MyNoise.Net and start up something to mask the irritating sound.  It's not hard to cover up, but annoying that I feel I need to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.