Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the PSU in my 8300 SFF to give me more choices of Graphics card. I'm looking to follow the guidance given by @Kentmh in this old thread

I have found this PSU wich seems to fit the bill.

And this cable.

Is this cable the right one? It doesn't mention converting the +5vsb to +12vsb, but non of the ones I can find mention it either.

If not can anyone point me to the right cable please?

Mant thanks.

Regards

Clive

Edit:

Just found this cable which I think might be the one. But, again it doesn't mention the 5 to 12v conversion. Can anyone confirm before I order please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just to close this off for now. I have all the right connectors in place now and have connected it to the motherboard and it boots fine. Apart from the fan error which I will I will fix with a jumper on the flat connector.

The adapter cable I got didn't need any pinout adjustments, it worked out of the box once I had the confidence that I had all the right cables in place.

I'm prett confident that I can take the board and innards out of the old PSU and fit the new one in it pretty well to make it look decent as well.

All in all glad I took the plunge.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

for what you are spending on a aux pwr supply and hacking it in a sff case (i own a elite 8300 sff)

consider simply buying a slightly newer system such as a HP z400 or a z420 or a z230 system that can be upgraded to a ATX supply if desired, and will take full height video cards

if you choose to keep the 8300 sff, you can custom fab brackets to allow mounting the aux supply above the motherboard next to the existing power supply then take the power good line from the sff pwr connector and route it to the ATX standard pin for pwr good, this allows both supplies to turn on/off at the same time (also connect the aux power line to the SFF's main power in line

a xbox-s power supply will also work as it's a 12v 10 amp supply, .....again modding is required

a 3rd method is to use the power supply from a minitower 8300/6300 system it's a 400 watt unit with the exact same pinout as the 230 watt sff unit, again modding is required to fit the tower supply in a sff case, i recommend checking if removing the 400 watt board into the 230 watt enclosure is a option

the above will not solve the SFF half height video card problem

HP Recommended

If you don't mind it looking ugly you could find a 400 watt power supply from the minitower version of the 8300/6300 and just leave it external to the case (you can run all the cables through one of the card slots in the back of the case).

You can also run a full height graphics card if you don't mind leaving the top off your computer 🙂

If at all possible try and sell your computer and upgrade to something more fit for the purpose. Some absolutely dirt cheap HP Z440 computers came on the market near me recently (60 of them, lol) and they are large towers that take full height AND length graphics cards AND come with monster 700 watt power supplies with dual GPU connectors.

-Jamie M.

HP Recommended

you can not fit a full height card in the elite 8000/6000/4000 SFF line unless you hack the case removing the metal that would interfere with inserting the card

you can not place the minitower power supply outside the case as all of the wires are two short and would have to be lengthened quit a bit 

HP Recommended

I assumed if he was willing to leave the top off the computer he wouldn't mind trimming the back of the case to allow the full height card to work 🙂

The wires are not too short if you have it pressed tight to the back of the case, I've done it before. They are pulled fairly tight and cross over the motherboard components so don't run pretty but they reach.

-Jamie M.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Food for thought indeed.

I have already invested a bit in upgrading the 8300 (Processor, SSD drive, RAM etc. TBH I didn't realise it wasn't a simple upgrade for the PSU until I came to look into it. I'm not that fussed abouit a full size graphics card., I already have a GTX 1050 Ti OC which should satify my needs but I think the current PSU is struggling to cope (I get screen blanking issues wich is another line of investigation but a better PSU would eliminate that as an issue).

I also wouldn't really need 2 PSU's, although that does sound like it might be a simpler option.

I'm not averse to jigging up a mounting bracket and doing a bit of wiring as required. But I just want to be sure I'm not marching up a blind alley before I start.

I have seen videos of the solution I am proposing here working so It's certainly possible and could be a neat solution with the right mounting solution. The only thing I'm a bit concerned over is the conversion cabling and the voltage conversions.

I'll take a look at the mintower PSU isea though as that might well be an easier fix.

HP Recommended

"I also wouldn't really need 2 PSU's" I wasn't suggesting you run both 😉 I always remove the stock one and just run everything off the 400 watt (externally).

Good luck with your upgrade!

-Jamie M.

HP Recommended

So,I now have the PSU I mentioned above. Plus THIS adapter cable which should fit the bill as it is for the 8300 range specificaly and does do the voltage conversion.

The PSU connector arangement is as in  THIS Picture.

I can see how the adapter fits to the PSU and to the 2 connectors on the motherboard.

BUT, I have a third set of wires from the original PSU going to a 4 pin connector on the motherboard over by the processor.

Am I right in assuming this is the 8 pin (4+4) CPU connector in the center of the PSU connectors?

If so then I am short a 4 pin to 4 pin connector for this.

Just want to check I am on the right track before I blow it all up 😉.

Also, should I connect my SATA power up to the new supply or stick with the motherboard supply as it is now?

Thanks for any guidance.

Oh, and it looks like I will be able to fit the new psu into the old psu housing once I have it all working so it should look pretty neat in the end 🤞

HP Recommended

Hi, I now have the PSU metioned and the right adapter cable for it.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the fact that I have the 24 pin adapter and can see the two connectors that the adapter connects to on the motherboard. But there is a third set of wires coming from the old PSU to a 4 pin connector by the processor on the motherboard. This I assume is the "8 pin (4+4) CPU Power" from the new PSU in THIS Picture?

In which case I am still short this cable to try it out.

Plus, should I use the SATA Power connector from the new PSU or leave it with ther motherboard as it is now?

BTW, it looks as if the new PSU will mount fairly well in the old psu casing so should look ok once fitted properly 🤞.

Any input appreviated.

HP Recommended

Sorry for double post avbove. The first one was marked as spam for some reason but mods have made it public and I can't seem to delete the second one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.