Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix 860-180st Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am hoping someone can help me or at least offer me some guidance in what to do.  I have had this desktop since May, 2016.  Occasionally, while using Lightroom, I would hear what I can best describe as a "vacuum cleaner" noise coming from it.  This usually would happen whenever I would do an export of pictures.  However, if I so much as even start Lightroom, this noise is persistent.  I've worked with Adobe on tweaking my graphics card settings (even disabling the graphics card all together as a test), but no matter what I do, whenever I navigate in Lightroom between the Develop and Library Modules, my desktop sounds like a jet that is about to take off.  Also, the images of my pictures in Lightroom will sporadically disappear, making developing impossible without an image to view.

I called HP yesterday for assistance but was prompted to pay $60 for support.  I thought I'd check here in this forum first before paying the $60, just in case it is determined that there is something wrong with my computer.  I'd rather just use the $60 towards a new one if it comes to that.  I read in the post (link below) about downloading HWiNFO64, which I have done.  Everything appears to be "cool", yet whenever I do anything in Lightroom, the fan goes crazy.

Do any of you have any suggestions?  

Many thanks for your assistance.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-ENVY-Phoenix-810-Fan-Noise/t...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello
so sorry i didn't look at the link
What you indicate seems to be simply a sign of heating
In intensive use the computer is very solicited, it heats up, and therefore the fans can "go crazy", run very quickly

your computer being old, if you have never opened and cleaned it before it can be an aggravating factor
Check out this video and being careful try what is indicated

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and for providing me with the video on how to clean it.  Unfortunately, I have already done that.  In fact, I make it a point to blow it out twice a year. In looking at the info from HWiNFO64, there is a lot of data, but in looking specifically at my CPUs (Intel Core i7-6700K), The Core Temperatures are averaging 37 (Core 0 is 38; Core 1 is 39; Core 2 is 35; and Core 3 is 36).  Are these values acceptable?  Do you have any further suggestions? Again, thank you for trying to help me with this.

HP Recommended

Yes, but you must check the temperature at rest and in operation
here indeed it is suitable, but when?
and the other temperatures when the fans make noise, don't you just have the processor fans?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

My apologies, but how do I go about testing that?

HP Recommended

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I don't know with your software but this one is not bad

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I installed it.  I'm doing a basic export from Lightroom which is causing the fans to go crazy.  In looking at the CPUID HW Monitor, what specifically should I be looking for?  My NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Video Card is showing a temperature of 47 (116F).  That seems high to me.  The Hot Spot is at 61 (141F).  The temps on the Cores are fluctuating between 75 and 85.  

HP Recommended

i didn't reinstall it, but the software is pretty straightforward, and you should be able to check in real time
you need to watch all temperatures, rest, and use
you normally have (from memory) fan speeds
it is quite simple, normally, to deduce which fan is running fast
If everything is very clean, you can have a fan on the other hand which makes more noise than it should, then you would have to open and identify the source!
If it is necessary to make a replacement, there I advise you to consult a professional
ask for a quote don't be fooled either
Maybe it will be time to invest in a more efficient computer.
It may not be worth spending a lot on an older computer anymore.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Well, when I bought this only 5 years ago, I thought it would last longer than this for what I paid for it.  What would you recommend as a good desktop for running Lightroom efficiently (and quietly)?

HP Recommended

Wait until you get there.
try to see what I indicated to you, it should not be yet time to replace it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.