Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended

hello community, I bought a used pc with a 2.5 ssd and an nvme ssd. The installation of Windows 10 Pro went without any problems. But the PC doesn't recognize the NVMe. I'm desperate. I have installed all windows updates and updated the BIOS to version P01 Ver. 02.48. I tested the NVMe in another PC and it works without any problems. Does anyone have an idea? A setting in the BIOS maybe or a missing driver? Thanks in advance

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Have you tried the  Windows DiskPart utility to see if the OS recognizes it as being present? 

I suggest that you follow the instructions that @Paul_Tikkannen gave another member with a similar SSD issue. The problem is likely to be a storage controller one.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-upgraded-my-SSD-but-it-appea...

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by marking that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello,

yes, I tried that and it doesn't show up
HP Recommended

I downloaded the Zip file and took the files from the vmd folder and put them on the usb drive. Now i dont know which of the files i have to use during the win 10 Installation. I have to uncheck the box hide driver which are not compatible with the System to see the 4 .inf files

HP Recommended

Follow @Paul_Tikkannen's posted instructions at the thread at  the link. 

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by marking that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, @Krypton156 

I have the 800 G3 DM and installed a Samsung 980 1 TB NVMe SSD.

I didn't need to install any storage controller drivers.

I'm assuming you are using the latest W10 installation media from Microsoft (W10 22H2)?

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Also, the storage controller drivers you tried are for PC's with the Intel 11th gen core and newer processors, so they wouldn't work on your PC.

You need the drivers that I zipped up and attached below for your PC's processor and chipset, but I would be surprised if that was the solution to your dilemma, as no drivers should be needed until you get to a PC with an 11th gen or newer core processor.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Copy all of the driver files in the folder to a USB flash drive.

Have the flash drive and your W10 installation media plugged into USB ports.

Boot from the W10 installation flash drive.

When you get to the screen where no drives can be found, click on the Load driver option, browse to the flash drive with the storage controller drivers on it.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Click Next, and hopefully, Windows should find the drive and install.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen

at the moment I'm trying the HP Cloud Recovery Client as I have a Business 800 G3 SFF. If it doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion. Thank you for attaching the files.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Using the Cloud recovery client would have been my next suggestion. 

HP Recommended

i have tried the recovery Client, and in an sub sub sub sub folder there were sata/ahci driver but after i installed them the nvme is still not shown, so i couldnt continue the installation. I reset the bios to factory settings. Is there anything i have to change in the bios ? I am so frustrated because ive tried so many things and nothing works and i dont know why.

HP Recommended

I was going to ask if you see the drive listed anywhere in the BIOS, but I just went into my 800 G3's BIOS menu and I could not find the drive listed anywhere.

The only thing I could find is that the Windows boot manager shows the M.2 SSD as the device to boot from.

When I bought my 800 G3 DM on eBay, it came with a 256 GB 2.5" SATA SSD.

I removed that drive completely and installed a 1 TB NVMe SSD, installed W11 on the PC and it installed and worked without any problem.

So, the only question I have is do you have Windows on the 2.5" SSD?

If so, try temporarily disconnecting the power and data cables to the drive and try to install Windows on the NVMe SSD.

The Windows boot manager may have to automatically switch to that drive in order for you to install Windows.

If no go, I would assume that the M.2 slot is defective.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.