Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Has anyone had experience updating to windows 11 from windows 8 on their HP Envy 23 All in One? I'm not sure it is worth paying for windows if there will be issues with it working and deciding if I should just purchase a new pc. I haven't had any issues with my HP Envy so far. Anyone update to 11 yet from 8?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC does not meet Microsoft's minimum hardware requirements for W11.

You cannot upgrade from W8.1 to W11.

You have to upgrade from W8.1 to W10 and then from W10 to W11.

If you are interested in upgrading to W10, you can do so for free.

Here's how...

Make a bootable W10 USB 64-bit installation flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

It will be easier to do this if you have a PC running W10 or W11 because on W7 or W8.1 you need to make some registry changes in order for the media creation tool to work.   See this link if you only have your PC to use.

Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as default secure protocols in WinHTTP in Windows - Microsoft S...

Have your PC running and at the Windows desktop.

After you create the bootable W10 installation flash drive, plug it into your PC's USB port.

Do not boot from the flash drive.

Open the flash drive in Windows Explorer.

You will see a list of files on the flash drive.

Double click to run the Setup application to begin the upgrade process to W10.

You have 10 days to go back to W8.1 in case things don't work as well on W10 for any reason.

Go back to Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Support

You will most likely need to install this W10 IDT audio driver after you upgrade to W10.

Tempo High-Definition Audio Driver (Original IDT)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

If things work OK on W10, and if you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.