Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 d233ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking to upgrade the original MXM a with DirectX 12 compatible graphics cards with the options being either a replacement MXM a card or eGPU if that is compatible with this older machine. There are some later Dell card NVIDEA options like the M2200 GDDR5 4Gb that would fit. 

My concern around the later cards is their power consumption. I believe the original spec was around 35W whereas this card seems to draw a lot more power at around 75W. Would that just end up overheating or would it be OK to use?

If a replacements MXM a card isn't an option, would the USB ports on the Envy 23 support a thunderbolt cable and eGPU alternative? Or do I just need to buy a newer PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Geforce GT630M does upgrade effectively but a word of caution, Nvidia stopped driver updates for this card in 2018 so anything requiring latest drivers will likely not work or glitch with this graphics card.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Baz10 , welcome to the forum.

The MXM video cards are made for OEM manufacturers, such as, HP.  Therefore, they are very difficult to find.  Your best option would be to search ebay to see what is available.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  So, it would be unlikely that a card from another OEM manufacturer would work.

Now, as for a eGPU.  Your computer was released in 2012.  It is doubtful that you will be able to find one that will work with it.  You can choose an eGPU manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with determining if they have something that will work.  They are the experts on their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input. I did a fair bit of reading around oprions and it seems that HP offered the 1Gb AMD 7450 card that I have installed or a 2Gb NVIDIA GEFORCE GT630M upgrade option. The NVIDIA card is down as being DirectX 12 compatible but not fully compliant as in all features will not work at their best. So, I've ordered via eBay the Nvidia card which being so old, isn't costing a lot and even if if doesn't in the end work with regard to DirectX 12 it'll still be a better card.

The PC is one of the later Envy 23's being from the back end of 2014. So its old, but not that old. I'll post back here if the Nvidia card which is an OE HP fitment that I believe was first introduced in 2013 is up to the job.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Baz10!  I would appreciate it if you would let me know how it works.

HP Recommended

The Geforce GT630M does upgrade effectively but a word of caution, Nvidia stopped driver updates for this card in 2018 so anything requiring latest drivers will likely not work or glitch with this graphics card.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update and word of caution, @Baz10.  I appreciate it.  Glad you solved your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.