Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-330qe
Linux

My HP desktop originally came with two memory slots filled with 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 memory sticks made by Samsung (M378B1G73DB0-CK0).  It has two memory slots free.  I wanted to add 16GB additional memory bringing the total to 32GB.  I purchased two Samsung memory sticks identical to the original ones. 

When I install them, the computer fans run, but nothing shows up on the monitors.  After some time the fans momentarily turn off and then start again.  I am able to power off the machine and then remove the newly added sticks.  The machine then boots normally.  I am running Ubuntu 20.04 -- not that it should matter to a simple memory upgrade.

Has anyone successfully upgraded their HP Envy 700-330qe to a full 32GB?  

I read somewhere that you need to update the BIOS before it will properly work with additional RAM, but I don't know how to do that under Ubuntu Linux and my original Windows disk died a long time ago, so I can't even boot to Windows to do the upgrade.  My current BIOS is KAI V80.20 with a release date of 05/29/2014.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

in this case it looks like you have a problem with the modules
try a scan with the site here:

Welcome to Crucial USA
this may help you

if it is this model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-300-desktop-pc-series/6886619/model/6890459/product...

Must select one of the following options:
  • 12 GB (1 x 8 GB + 1 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 24 GB (2 x 8 GB + 2 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800

Motherboard Specifications, MS-7826 (Kaili)

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit system

you can try two identical modules, it may work
but be careful sometimes you need exactly the same
so either buy the same thing as installed
or it will be necessary to buy two other modules

that said I have 16 go on my computer, and it is more than enough

ref hp :

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search Product G5B63AV 

676695-150   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  
Memory - 8GB, PC3-12800, CL11, dPC  
RoHS: COMPLY_2.07

698651-154   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
did you try (taking care of security operations before):
remove original memory modules
Install a new module in slot 1, reconnect the computer and restart
If it works test the other module alone on the same slot
If that doesn't work, test the module on the other slots
If that does not work put the module aside
test the other module in the same way
if it works, test it with the original modules, possibly change the slot in case of failure
If this does not work at all, the modules are not compatible with each other, or are defective

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried the following:

1) I removed the original memory sticks (from slots 2 and 4) and tried to boot without any memory.  The fans turned on and I heard a repeating sequence of 4 beeps followed by a pause.

2) I then put in the new memory sticks into the slots previously occupied by the original ones (slots 2 and 4).   The fans turned on for a while and then paused briefly and then turned on again.  The computer did not boot.  There were no beeps.

3) I then removed the new memory sticks and put the original ones into different slots (slots 1 and 3).  The computer booted fine.  This proves nothing is wrong with the slots.

I must have got bad or incompatible memory.  I believe the new memory I purchased is supposed to be identical to the old one, but I could have been wrong.  I have attached a photo showing the old and new memory sticks.  Does anyone know where to get compatible memory for this computer?

Thanks!

ddr.jpg

HP Recommended

in this case it looks like you have a problem with the modules
try a scan with the site here:

Welcome to Crucial USA
this may help you

if it is this model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-300-desktop-pc-series/6886619/model/6890459/product...

Must select one of the following options:
  • 12 GB (1 x 8 GB + 1 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 24 GB (2 x 8 GB + 2 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800
  • 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800

Motherboard Specifications, MS-7826 (Kaili)

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit system

you can try two identical modules, it may work
but be careful sometimes you need exactly the same
so either buy the same thing as installed
or it will be necessary to buy two other modules

that said I have 16 go on my computer, and it is more than enough

ref hp :

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search Product G5B63AV 

676695-150   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  

698651-154   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Quick note:  I ordered two 8GB RAM from the Crucial website.  I now have 32GB of functioning DDR.  So it was just faulty replacement DDR that caused the boot issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing this question i think , iMessage App

you need to update the BIOS before it will properly work with additional RAM, 

reply me if it really works and share with others so they can also solve out this problem easily .

HP Recommended

I don't know how to update BIOS.  I just installed new RAM from Crucial and it just worked with no trouble.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.