Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 25L Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060 Ti) Model Number: GT12-1199
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

GT12-1199 

HP PC Product Specifications page:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c07652487

Hey, 

So I am a bit confused about my compatible options to upgrade my SSD to 1tb. I have a few links to some SSD's which I want to confirm if they are compatible: 

Samsung-970-EVO-Plus 

XPG GAMMIX 1TB S11 Pro 3D NAND PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD 

Samsung 980 Series - 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.4 - M.2 Internal SSD 

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid ...

Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Driv...  

Lastly, can I keep my old SSD (512 GB) still on? Like is there space for 2 SSD slots totaling to 1.5 TB or just 1 is available. If there isn't a slot available do I have to install windows on the new SSD? Sorry for these likely dumb questions. 

Thank you,

Have a wonderful day,  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AK473 , welcome to the Community.

Your motherboard has the following M.2 sockets: Two M.2 socket 3, key M (for SSD card PCIe x4 Gen 3).  They are 2280.

I personally like Samsung M.2's because they seem to work best with HP BIOS/UEFI's.  The 980 series is very good.

Since you have two M.2 sockets you can use the current M.2 as storage.  I suggest moving it to the second socket and add the new M.2 in the socket where it was installed.  You can use Samsung's Data Migration software to clone the current M.2 to the new one.  Install it on the current M.2 and run it.  It will ask for the target drive and this will be the new M.2.  Once the drive is cloned you can go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the new M.2.

I suggest that you contact Samsung's, or whichever manufacturer you choose, Tech Support to ensure that their M.2's will be compatible with your motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AK473 , welcome to the Community.

Your motherboard has the following M.2 sockets: Two M.2 socket 3, key M (for SSD card PCIe x4 Gen 3).  They are 2280.

I personally like Samsung M.2's because they seem to work best with HP BIOS/UEFI's.  The 980 series is very good.

Since you have two M.2 sockets you can use the current M.2 as storage.  I suggest moving it to the second socket and add the new M.2 in the socket where it was installed.  You can use Samsung's Data Migration software to clone the current M.2 to the new one.  Install it on the current M.2 and run it.  It will ask for the target drive and this will be the new M.2.  Once the drive is cloned you can go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the new M.2.

I suggest that you contact Samsung's, or whichever manufacturer you choose, Tech Support to ensure that their M.2's will be compatible with your motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.