Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilllion 27xw Monitor

Has anyone had their monitor just fall off the base?  My monitor looked  like it was tilted forward and then fell off the base into the corner of my laptop and cracked the screen!  I check the base and it's just a small  metal bracket that just slides into a plastic part of the monitor.  There is a tiny white plastic button underneath  but it doesn't turn and no place for screws so  the monitor just slides in but there's no way to secure it properly into the base.  Doesn't seem safe or secure! I loved this monitor but now it's junk!😭

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

`Too late now, but did the metal part of the base have a hole in it, located such that the white button should have popped into the hole, when the metal part was pushed the correct distance into the plastic socket?

If so, then the only way to disconnect the monitor from the base would have been to push-down on that button, to push it out of the hole, to "unlock" the metal base, and then to slide the metal "tongue" out of the plastic socket.

HP Recommended

I have the same monitor..

The large screen is definitely going to fall off its base...   Every time I touch it or try to turn it the monitor almost falls off the base, because the mechanism that is design to secure it to its base is failing...  

.. I will try to explain:

The base connection is poorly designed, and the retention mechanism is based off of the rigidity of the plastic "mouth" (I am sure there is a term for this) fitting into a metal "tongue" (again, probably a better term for this)... 

Anyhow, the monitor is supposed to secure in there with a couple of rigid plastic "teeth" (again..) at the top of the mouth, pushing into a couple of cut-outs in the metal tongue...   There are no screws or other retention mechanism that I can see, other than these teeth which are supposed to stay in place because of the rigidity of the plastic pushing the teeth into the holes..

To dis-engage the monitor from the base, I guess the idea is that by pushing up on the plastic button, it pushes the top of the mouth up, which would dis-engage the teeth from the holes and then the monitor can slide forward off of the tongue...

Instead, under the normal circumstances (where we would want the monitor to stay on the base), the plastic is no longer rigid enough, to hold the teeth (which are not large enough) in place and therefore the teeth are no longer engaged with the holes in the metal tongue..  Therefore the monitor sits loosely on its base, ready to fall off with the slightest amount of movement, or just plain old gravity would do it, if say the monitor was tilted forward on its base...

This is HORRIBLE!!      And clearly a major design flaw...  This is not something that should happen due to normal wear-and-tear or aging, and we really need a fix for this (if not a whole replacement) for this monitor before something horrible happens...

I live in fear that this large IPS monitor screen is going to fall off its base at any moment...   Best case scenario is that it just falls off and destroys my keyboard/mouse and possibly cracks the screen..  Worse case scenario is that is smashes down off the desk and kills my dog, who likes to sleep underneath my computer desk since that is where the AC register is...    I would be quite irate if that happens...

Anyhow, what does HP suggest we do about this??

HP Recommended

So I just got off the phone with tech support (which is to say, I got Costo to transfer me to Tech support, because calling tech support on my own is impossible, since the monitor is out of warranty now)...

After an hour on the phone, she said I could send it in for repair for $150, which is (of course) ridiculous to spend $150 repairing a monitor that cost $200 to purchase to begin with...

I guess I will have to throw this monitor away and get a new one...  Its just too unsafe to use at this point...  I don't see how I could fix it myself without ruining it (no, glue isn't going to work here), and since there is no standard VESA (sp?) mount on the back of the screen, trying to use a different mounting system isn't feasible either...

This is quite frustrating...  Is HP going to stand behind their products and address this issue at all??     This isn't my fault... This is a design flaw...   I don't think I would have purchased this monitor to begin with if I knew that a few years later it would be unsafe to use...

I also wonder what is going to happen when other folks with the same monitor and the same issue have it fall off the base and cause damage to items in its surrounding area, like the i-phone most folks keep on their desk, etc..   What if it falls off the desk and lands on top of a small child's head causing injury, or something...   How much would fixing this issue cost, in comparison to that??

Oh well, probably just easier to ignore the problem I suppose...

... So upsetting

HP Recommended

Are you "handy" with an electric drill?

If so, a "Rube Goldberg" solution is possible.

With the monitor inserted into the base, carefully drill two holes all the way through the "overlapping" area. Then, stick a nail (or a screw with locking-nuts at both ends) through the hole(s), to fortify the connection.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.