Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion AIO 24"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a new HP Pavilion all-in-one, which came with a wireless mouse and keyboard combo. Right out of the box, they both worked with the PC. There is a USB dongle inside the mouse which I did NOT plug in. I read on a forum that there is an internal adapter in the PC that connects the mouse/keyboard, so, ok. My question is, can I disable it??

For context, when I bought this PC, I made sure to get one with an HDMI IN port, so it could be used as a second monitor with my laptop connected. That works great (with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable) and I'm very happy with it. The problem is, when the laptop is connected to the "monitor," the mouse and keyboard no longer work. They're connected to the PC which I assume is inactive/asleep while the HDMI port is active. But even if I connect the USB dongle from the mouse to the laptop, it doesn't work. In fact, when the laptop and PC aren't connected, and the mouse's USB dongle is inserted in the laptop, they both still only work on the PC. I can't really turn off the PC while the monitor is in use, so simply powering it off to establish the connection elsewhere isn't really an option. 

So, is this mouse/keyboard combo only able to be used on the Pavilion, period? Why did it even come with a dongle? Or can the internal adapter in the PC be disabled, so I can move the dongle freely between devices?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Is it possible that your keyboard & mouse communicate via the BlueTooth protocol, and that your HP computer also has built-in BlueTooth? If so, then you do not need that small adapter, which might have this logo: 

BlueTooth-icon.jpg

Note that two BlueTooth adapters must "pair" to each other. So, if you stop the "pairing", then you can connect that USB-interface dongle  to a different computer, and then "pair" your keyboard/mouse with this second computer.

The dongle was included for computers that do NOT have their own built-in BlueTooth support.

HP Recommended

Hi@twillly,

The notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I did contact HP about it, and they told me that since the keyboard and mouse pair fine with the PC that they came with, they cannot help me pair them with another PC (even though the other PC is an HP laptop, so that's pretty annoying to refuse to support their own products). He said if I want help with pairing with another device, there will be a fee, and provided other contact info for that. I was pretty disappointed with that response, so I posted here instead hoping someone else has had the issue before.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same question too, but for me it's less urgent. I only want to replace the keyboard and mouse with my own so I wondered whether I could use the HP ones on another pc. But looking at your experience it seems that HP is very environmental unfriendly, I just have to throw away these brandnew (two months old) devices and use my old ones. Like you I'm very disappointed about HP.

HP Recommended

I got this tip from @prométhée . It could be a solution for you, to disconnect. But I admit, it's a rather drastical one and quite a risk to do. What if it doesn't work.... Replace the USB Dongle Cable | HP Pavilion AiO 24 -qc000, 27-qc0000i, 24-k000 CTO and 27-d000 | HP 

HP Recommended

(As a response to the Bluetooth comment, not sure if it shows what I am replying to)

It is possible but I don't think that is the case here. I probably should have put this in my original message, but thought I was getting a bit wordy lol.

The PC does have Bluetooth capability but I don't think the keyboard/mouse do. There is no Bluetooth symbol anywhere on either of them, nor is there a pairing button or anything like that. When I pull up the "Show Bluetooth devices" menu, they aren't on the list (and neither is anything that could possibly be them and I don't recognize the name, or something like that). 

I agree that I need to somehow stop whatever is pairing them to the PC in order to use the UBC in another PC, but I can't figure out what is connecting them. 

HP Recommended

Twilly, check the video.

There's an explanation on how to disconnect (and if needed replace) the internal dongle in the HP AiO pc so that this will no longer interfere with your other keyboard and mouse.

Just be aware that this might affect your guarantee.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I’ll check it out. It is a drastic solution so we’ll see how much I am annoyed by constantly switching my keyboards back and forth. 

HP Recommended

What happens when you switch of your mouse and keyboard? Would the devices of your laptop take over at that moment?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.