Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a1777c TV PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

Does the motherboard for a HP Pavilion a1777c TV PC have support for EIDE HDDs as well as for SATA?

I bought this computer for $15.00 at a thrift store and it has no HDD. By the loose cables inside it's clear that the original HDD was SATA. I do not have any spare SATA HDDs but I do have some EIDE drives sitting in a few old computers that I no longer use. I've seen a few pictures on the HP site that identified IDE/EIDE connectors on HP motherboards that look pretty similar to a couple empty connectors on this MB. I just want to find out for sure from someone here since I can't seem to get a definitive answer on my own investigation.

I would like to try to fix this computer up as a PVR. It has a Hauppauge Wintv HVR 1600 TV tuner already. All things being equal, I would rather get a new SATA drive, but I would hate to spend the money when I don't even know for sure that there isn't something wrong with the machine that won't show up until I install a HDD and try to install Vista (the OS it shipped with) and all the drivers.

Currently I don't have another computer that I would want to put a new SATA drive into as a secondary if this HP doesn't work properly.

On the other hand, I think that the biggest EIDE HDD I have is 250GB -- and used. Free is great, but....

I'll have to sort out my priorities myself, but first I need to know whether it's even possible to use a EIDE HDD in this computer (without an adapter).

Also, the DVD drive is still hooked up with SATA cables. Providing that the MB supports EIDE as well, is there any reason why the DVD drive could not be left with the SATA connection while the HDD runs off EIDE?

Thank you for your interest!

Grant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your motherboard does have suppport for EIDE and SATA hard disks.

I suggest purchasing and using a new SATA drive.

You never know when a EIDE drive is going to stop functioning and really disappoint you. 😉 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your motherboard does have suppport for EIDE and SATA hard disks.

I suggest purchasing and using a new SATA drive.

You never know when a EIDE drive is going to stop functioning and really disappoint you. 😉 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanhs for that, erico!

What about my secondary question? If I install a EIDE HRR, can I leave the DVD drive on SATA, or does everything have to be either one or the other?

Grant

HP Recommended

Yes. You can leave the optical disk on a SATA port.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.