Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Simple Save
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What causes a write error - HP Simple Save - write error - Error 0x800701E3 on an external HP Simple Save 1TB drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HooHusky 

I would guess the disk failed.

Data transfer - or read? - error, maybe.

Could be the power supply.  Although this, too, is common on these old units, I could think the error would be different.

Either one likely leaves you far up the creek without paddles.

Worse, the software used was proprietary / encrypted.

Hopefully, this is not the only copy of the data.

I'd link some references - but there really aren't any around that you don't already have...

@Photoray002- Any words of hope or wisdom for Mr. Hoo?

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@HooHusky 

I would guess the disk failed.

Data transfer - or read? - error, maybe.

Could be the power supply.  Although this, too, is common on these old units, I could think the error would be different.

Either one likely leaves you far up the creek without paddles.

Worse, the software used was proprietary / encrypted.

Hopefully, this is not the only copy of the data.

I'd link some references - but there really aren't any around that you don't already have...

@Photoray002- Any words of hope or wisdom for Mr. Hoo?

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon - thanks!

This is a little strange, because I've received the error inconsistently.  Tried writing ( I back up MY Docs folder monthly) last weekend it failed.  Tried a few times that day  with same error.  Tried a few days later, and the Write was sucessfull!.  Tried again yesterday, got same error.

It does seem to read, I have mucho backed up data (videos, pix, files, etc.) from several years back.

Yes, it is old, only 1TB, can buy a new one - 4TB for < $100.  So may go with that and save the continued aggravation.

Can't get any help from HP, even to ask a simple question.

HP Recommended

@HooHusky 

You are welcome.

Well, not failed, then.

Will fail, though.  That is a certainty.

If the errors affect your main computer, you might be losing the disk there.

Or, the file system or disk errors are stacking up - either way, not good news there either.

HP won't respond to this type of question - the device and SimpleSave software have not been supported for years.

Were it me, next time I could get to the data, I would extract all of it - a few folders at a time, if necessary - and copy / store the data almost anywhere else.  Yes, considering you are having trouble with local folders, time to copy / store your important data "elsewhere", that is, not on the computer and (for sure) not using SimpleSave.

Sometimes the answer is "run away". 

Good Luck,

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Not really @Dragon-Fur , you already nailed it.

@HooHusky  Its failing and will eventually not be accessible anymore. Problem is, if you only have one copy of your backup, you don't have a backup. That drive fails and your files are gone.

If these files are important, you really should have two backup copies made. Either on two external drives, or one external and one cloud.  Do not trust that a new drive will last you several years. 😉

SimpleSave is physical hardware encryption on the drive itself. Depending on which SimpleSave drive and how the drive has failed, a recovery center wont be able to help in most cases.

I would leave it turned off until you copy the files.

HP no longer does support for that old system and most of the first tier support techs will have never even heard of it.

That's why HP relies on us old dinosaurs to volunteer. And dragons live even longer than dinosaurs. 😂😂😂 (jk)

HP Recommended

You guys (dragons and dinosaurs, what a mix 😋) are great, thanks for the info, and taking the time to reply.

I had already started looking for a new HD.  You two seem to know your stuff - any recommendations for a new one?

HP Recommended

As far as what I recommend, not really. There are two main HDD makers pretty much now days, Seagate and Western Digital.

Most of the ready made external HDDs will use the cheapest version of HDD manufactured. But if you aren't using them very often, its no big deal. If you wanted the warm fuzzy feeling of having better components, You could always buy a better stand alone drive and install it into a separate USB case you can get from Amazon or NewEgg.

In such case, I like the 3.5 inch with either a Western Digital Purple 5400 rpm 3 yr,  Black 7200 rpm 5 yr drive or Seagate IronWolf 5400 rpm 3 yr (non pro (cheaper)) HDD.  All good PMR style HDDs.   I stay away from SMR drives as they are slower writing.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

@HooHusky 

No single disk storage any longer.  We long ago outgrew that method. 

I do have two auxiliary storage disks in my Zbook workstation; I don't keep anything there that is not also backed up elsewhere.  An exception:  I do have a (about a 200 GB) work area that I am prepared to lose -- "Single backup" mode.  

We run a rather large NAS unit in our home office and I use a variety of other methods to secure the several hundred GB of data that we tend to "want" to keep.

Is it enough?  Not likely.   It is enough for average precautions.

@Photoray002 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Photoray002 - thanks for taking the time to provide your recommendations.  They all look good, reasonably priced.  I'd prefer the external drive - easier for me to maintain, and the Dell CPU I have doesn't have a slot for another drive.  I'll look for a case on Amazon.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.