Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-a0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am working on upgrading this PC from an HDD to a M.2 SSD. The SSD I am trying to add is a 512GB Intel 660P NVMe M.2 SSD. I chose this NVMe based on a SSD firmware update (from the official HP software and drivers page) for this PC that listed it as a compatible model. After plugging it in, it is not detected anywhere! I have an HP 82FF motherboard with the latest BIOS (F.29 from 7/6/2020). M.2 slot IS enabled in BIOS. It does not show up in BIOS, Device Manager, Disk Management, or File Explorer. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@evantubbergen , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  It would be helpful if you would furnish a link to the HP document referred to in your post.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The product number is Z5M51AA#ABA and the link to the firmware download that populated a list of compatible models is Driver - HP Slimline Desktop - 270-a016 | HP® Customer Support

I also wanted to note that I have tried two different models of 2.5" SSDs to simply replace the current SATA hard drive and those were never recognized either no matter what I did. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @evantubbergen!

This is a strange situation.  I have seen similar problems when a member attempted to use an incompatible SSD, but the one you are trying to use is definitely listed as compatible.

Personally, I have always used Samsung M.2/SSD because the seemed to work best with the HP BIOS/UEFI.

I believe it is time to get the SSD manufacturer's Tech Support involved to see what we are missing.  It seems to me that you have done all that you can do.

Have you tried disabling "Secure Boot" in the UEFI?  You didn't mention it, if you did.

HP Recommended

I am going to contact Intel tech support today, but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the board? I should have mentioned I have tried multiple SSDs before this one with no luck. I tried a Crucial P1 NVMe and both a Samsung 860 QVO and Crucial MX500 in the SATA slot and after doing successful disk clones, none were recognized in BIOS. I finally decided to try one that was guaranteed compatible by HP which now brought me here. I'm not sure what else to try.

HP Recommended

@evantubbergen 

If you tried disabling Secure Boot and that didn't solve the problem, it is time, as I said, to get the manufacturer's Tech Support involved. They are the experts on their products.  If they can't solve the problem, it may be the motherboard.

I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.