Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Small Form Factor Workstation

I was doing to browsing and see that there is a PCIe card which allows for adding an M.2 nVME drive (I believe) to this Z240 SFF that I have.  Questions:

1)  Can the system BOOT from it?  Will any m.2 SSD work in there?  
2)  Can I use this as well as the one on the system board - together?

3)  Is the one on the system board PCIe 3 or 4?  

4)  Does it have to be in a specific slot? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

An HP Z240 SFF was one of my HP legacy upgrade projects, as you can see here: Solved: Upgrading HP Z240 Desktop Workstation SFF - HP Support Community - 8427878.

To answer your questions:

Q1: Yes (#2) and Yes: pick a quality M.2 NVMe Gen3 x4 SSD: a Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD will run at Gen3 I/O speeds:

NonSequitur777_0-1703919766524.png

Q2: Yes, and that is exactly what I did with this build: HP Z240 SFF Workstation Performance Results - UserBenchmark:

NonSequitur777_1-1703920471981.png

Q3: Both M.2 NVMe SSD installation options are wired for Gen3.  Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSDs will run at Gen3 I/O speeds.

Q4:  Nope [you'll have to use the PCIe x16 (wired as x4) slot]. You can make either M.2 NVMe SSD your primary (boot) drive.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

An HP Z240 SFF was one of my HP legacy upgrade projects, as you can see here: Solved: Upgrading HP Z240 Desktop Workstation SFF - HP Support Community - 8427878.

To answer your questions:

Q1: Yes (#2) and Yes: pick a quality M.2 NVMe Gen3 x4 SSD: a Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD will run at Gen3 I/O speeds:

NonSequitur777_0-1703919766524.png

Q2: Yes, and that is exactly what I did with this build: HP Z240 SFF Workstation Performance Results - UserBenchmark:

NonSequitur777_1-1703920471981.png

Q3: Both M.2 NVMe SSD installation options are wired for Gen3.  Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSDs will run at Gen3 I/O speeds.

Q4:  Nope [you'll have to use the PCIe x16 (wired as x4) slot]. You can make either M.2 NVMe SSD your primary (boot) drive.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777

Thank You for your reply...great information.  

HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

You are welcome!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.