Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Will my current a6400f run an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz using the current PSU 250 Watts? 

Running Win 7 Pro 32bit, 4GB Ram PC2-6400 DIMM 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.  PCI-Express X16 NVIDA GT610 2GB.  Bios updated on 04.09.18 Version/Date American Megatrends Inc.  5.43, 09.10.2009.  This is the latest Bios Update on HP Support.  Mother Board Asus IPIBL-LB Benicia-GL8E.  Mother Board supports Intel 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx.  CPU FAN is Cooler Master KDH-5065H.

Would like to install a new  HP DPS-600WB A Envy 600W Power Supply 633186-002 this evening.  If everything checks out then install the CPU.

Cost To Update HP a6400f

PSU:  $38.00

CPU:  $30.00

$68.00

Would welcome recommendations for a GPU upgrade.

Thank You In Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ici5, welcome back to the forum.  Thank you for posting in the main Forum as requested!

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" you will see a list of compatible processors.  It appears that your Q9500 should work:  Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx and with the 250W PSU.

I am not certain that you need a 600W PSU.  The reason that I say this is, the newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI in the motherboard were the GTX 660/670 series.  These cards only require 300W to 400W to run properly.

Even with the upgrades, I am not certain that you will see a lot of system performance boost.  You are dealing with much older components in the computer.  If you want to spend the money, it won't hurt to try, however.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ici5, welcome back to the forum.  Thank you for posting in the main Forum as requested!

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" you will see a list of compatible processors.  It appears that your Q9500 should work:  Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx and with the 250W PSU.

I am not certain that you need a 600W PSU.  The reason that I say this is, the newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI in the motherboard were the GTX 660/670 series.  These cards only require 300W to 400W to run properly.

Even with the upgrades, I am not certain that you will see a lot of system performance boost.  You are dealing with much older components in the computer.  If you want to spend the money, it won't hurt to try, however.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

old_geekster,

Thank you for responding to my post. 

I installed the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz CPU and it does run with the 250W Power Supply.  My previous CPU was the Pentium E2200 2.2GHz 800 MHz.  $30.00 well spent. 

I did not know the newer video cards require UEFI BIOSin the motherboard.  I will only look for video cards that use Legacy BIOS.  I will need to install the 600W Power Supply knowing some of these video cards require 400W to run properly.

Does HP have a list of video cards that will work with my HP a6400f?

I'll post back after I get everthing set up with the new CPU, PSU, and video card. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ici5!

No, HP doesn't provide and guides to upgrade components on their home computers.  Your best option would be to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  They are the experts on their products.

I would appreciate hearing the outcome of your project.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Hey brother, I too have that same pc, a6400f. I was building a low budget gaming rig for my mom and ii picked up the q9550 as well. When upgrading from teh e2200 to the q9550 in the ipibl-lb im constantly getting boot loop, even after resetting the cmos and trying to boot from windows 10 media creation tool. Did you have to update your bios at all? or did it work for you out the box?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.