Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion serie a6000 (a6375.it)
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, 3 days I can not solve a problem due to my PC, I am attaching meanwhile the exact model and what appears in the BIOS:

code on the case

Internal BIOSInternal BIOS

In essence, the PC was formatted because the system was not starting anymore, I installed Windows 7 since it is very old the PC (about 8 years old) after completing the installation, I turned off the PC because it was late at night, the following day I tried to turn the PC back on and I noticed that the system was not starting anymore.
I did a scan by pressing F9 Diagnostics with the integrated tool of HP, from there the processor and the ram are OK, towards the end instead for the hard disk says it was not detected or is faulty by releasing a BIOHD-2 error code, entering into the BIOS my HD is no longer present as if it were not attached.
I replaced the sata cable and the power supply, the problem remains, I took my HD and inserting it inside a friend's PC as secondary HD works perfectly, you can also see the data and the system inside, we also did a scan and my HD is perfectly intact. (I attach the photo below):

S.M.A.R.TS.M.A.R.T

SummarySummary

At this point I took another 160 GB HD and I decided to see if the system recognized it in the BIOS, the absurd thing that the motherboard has detected the second HD 160 GB, I started another installation of windows 7 on this HD and now I remain stuck the pc on this home screen:

PC ignitionPC ignition

Also pressing F10 to enter the BIOS remains locked, if I do not press anything the following screen appears:

Without pressing anythingWithout pressing anythingFollowing this screen appears Insert Boot Device etc, there is no moral way to boot any disk on this motherboard, it is possible that the BIOS is corrupt in some way?
The Bios in the initial photo is the original one and has never been changed, is there any link to download the latest BIOS and update the motherboard trying to recognize or start another HD?
Please help me, the pc I need for work, I have already done the data backup, but if you do not start any HD as I do to use it, I need the pc.
I hope someone helps me, I thank you in advance.
N.B: with the 160 GB hard drive, even if I do not press anything, the PC is always blocked at the initial blue screen of the HP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the mobo has the clear cmos, I have done both that (from PC off) for 10 seconds with the jumper and removing the battery buffer of the mobo for 20 seconds, the settings are reset, but this strange problem remains and pervades, I changed also psu, ram and cpu (I have been loaned) nothing to do, also because in the end it does not want to know the main HD of 500 GB, for more that the 160 GB with the system now makes the PC remain blocked at the HP home screen in blue, scanning the HD (a friend's PC) I guarantee that they work, plus I also changed the sata port, the mobo has 6 luckily, but for my misfortune it was useless.
It's one of the most absurd and strange things that have ever happened to me ...

EDIT: This morning after a good night's sleep I thought of doing something and take away the doubt, I reassembled only the 160 GB HD on the PC, I started an installation of lubuntu 12.10 distro DEFT 8, magically installed everything and the PC started.
Curiosity of mine I inserted with an external box the HD 500GB indicted and does not see it, I'm not happy to report the HD 500 GB from my friend, put it back as secondary and the pc freeza at the screen with the windows logo, we enter the BIOS and bang the HD has the word unallocated 0 MB amount, God thank you only for being able to make the backup in time, basically the controller will be left under the HD, but at the moment I'm with 40 € about amazon I take one from 1 TB, I am currently reformatting the 160GB with another iso of windows 7 - 32 bits downloaded this morning on their site, let's see if this test goes either from usb or from DVD.

EDIT 2: installation of windows 7 - 32 bit success on 160 GB HD with DVD, we see that the other DVD or ISO was not good, so the CRIMINAL HD was digging the grave slowly even though with the scan done at the beginning it seemed OK, thanks to everyone for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

>  I did a scan by pressing F9 Diagnostics with the integrated tool of HP, from there the processor and the ram are OK, towards the end instead for the hard disk says it was not detected or is faulty by releasing a BIOHD-2 error code.

> I replaced the SATA cable and the power supply, the problem remains.

The SATA cable from the disk-drive is connected to "SATA socket #2" on the motherboard.

What happens if you move the cable to a different socket?

If you only have 2 sockets, the CD/DVD device must be connected to the other socket.

So, swap the cables into each other's socket.

> entering into the BIOS my HD is no longer present as if it were not attached.

The disk-drive has two major components: the circuit-board, and the "spinning" part.

If the electronics on the circuit-board have failed, you would get the "not present" message.

But, since you connected the disk-drive to a different computer, the circuit-board is OK.

> I took another 160 GB HD and I decided to see if the system recognized it in the BIOS, the absurd thing that the motherboard has detected the second HD 160 GB.

This implies that the circuit-board on that disk-drive is OK.

Was the original disk-drive attached, or not attached?

If you connect this second disk-drive to the other computer, is it detected?

On that computer, can you read files from this disk-drive?

> I started another installation of windows 7 on this HD and now I remain stuck the pc on this home screen:

The BIOS is trying to detect the disk-drive(s), but the disk-drive is not responding to the motherboard, and so you are "stuck" on the "Entering BIOS Setup" screen, waiting & waiting & waiting.  Sigh.

> it is possible that the BIOS is corrupt in some way?

Possible, but not likely, in my opinion.  A day or two ago, your BIOS was 100% "good".

> is there any link to download the latest BIOS and update the motherboard

There might be. 

However, usually, you need a functioning copy of Windows to run the program that updates the BIOS.

It's my preference to try to update the BIOS only after all my other trouble-shooting has failed -- definitely not the first thing that I usually try to do.

Both your disk-drive and the other disk-drive are quite old.

I would try a brand-new disk-drive, which is expected to be "good".

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

did/do you have dual 160gb drives in a raid 1 configuration?

go into the bios and note the current HD settings, the  perform a cmos reset by removing power to the system and then removing the cmos battery for 20 min, reinstall and enter bios, set date/time and reboot again if still having issues check/replace the drives SATA cable with a new one

HP Recommended

Yes the mobo has the clear cmos, I have done both that (from PC off) for 10 seconds with the jumper and removing the battery buffer of the mobo for 20 seconds, the settings are reset, but this strange problem remains and pervades, I changed also psu, ram and cpu (I have been loaned) nothing to do, also because in the end it does not want to know the main HD of 500 GB, for more that the 160 GB with the system now makes the PC remain blocked at the HP home screen in blue, scanning the HD (a friend's PC) I guarantee that they work, plus I also changed the sata port, the mobo has 6 luckily, but for my misfortune it was useless.
It's one of the most absurd and strange things that have ever happened to me ...

EDIT: This morning after a good night's sleep I thought of doing something and take away the doubt, I reassembled only the 160 GB HD on the PC, I started an installation of lubuntu 12.10 distro DEFT 8, magically installed everything and the PC started.
Curiosity of mine I inserted with an external box the HD 500GB indicted and does not see it, I'm not happy to report the HD 500 GB from my friend, put it back as secondary and the pc freeza at the screen with the windows logo, we enter the BIOS and bang the HD has the word unallocated 0 MB amount, God thank you only for being able to make the backup in time, basically the controller will be left under the HD, but at the moment I'm with 40 € about amazon I take one from 1 TB, I am currently reformatting the 160GB with another iso of windows 7 - 32 bits downloaded this morning on their site, let's see if this test goes either from usb or from DVD.

EDIT 2: installation of windows 7 - 32 bit success on 160 GB HD with DVD, we see that the other DVD or ISO was not good, so the CRIMINAL HD was digging the grave slowly even though with the scan done at the beginning it seemed OK, thanks to everyone for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.