Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-624 DeskTop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wanting to be proactive with my PC. It is working good, However, it does get heavy music production use. I do back ups as well as saving work to 2 additional drives. The pc is approximately 2 1/2 years old. I am considering on changing the HDD. Tried to find info on what type and brand came with PC as it has operated in a fantastic manner and also wanting to go with a 2TB vs the 1TB that is currently installed. I really don't want to disassemble to inspect until I have cloned to new drive.

Currently has Win10Pro 64 bit. 1TB HDD with 16GB Optane and 16GB Ram. I7 Intel. 

Thanks everyone for any thoughts or directions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Disk Drives device manager category and you will see the manufacturer's model # of the hard drive HP installed.

Then google the model number, and see if the manufacturer makes a 2 TB model of it.

The parts list for your PC doesn't help much.

HP PartSurfer

It gives the HP part number of the drive, but not the actual manufacturer or manufacturer's model number.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Disk Drives device manager category and you will see the manufacturer's model # of the hard drive HP installed.

Then google the model number, and see if the manufacturer makes a 2 TB model of it.

The parts list for your PC doesn't help much.

HP PartSurfer

It gives the HP part number of the drive, but not the actual manufacturer or manufacturer's model number.

HP Recommended

Hello
your computer is special, because you have an ssd drive, in order to speed up the startup
Only if you are replacing the HDD, you will probably need to rebuild this

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inner-Circle/Expresscache-configuration-software/td-p/3748018
You should be able to install a larger SSD drive and install windows on it, it will be much more responsive!
Keep HDD only for storage once formatted.

if you opt for a larger HDD alone, it will be less responsive

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you, I found the same info. it is working very good currently and the Optane Memory boot time is incredible. I will do some more research. Wondering if installing a ssd along with optane  memory will work?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think a SSD would work along with the Optane memory.

If I had your PC, I would remove the hard drive and Optane memory, buy a 2 TB NVMe M.2 SSD, and just use that.

Or keep the hard drive and use it for extra storage.

If you were to do that, you would have to disable the Optane memory in the BIOS and in the Intel RST software.

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you, will it still be beneficial to have the optain with a sata ssd?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am not well versed on how well Optane performs with a SSD.

I do have a NVMe SSD in my desktop PC and I don't know how a SATA SSD + Optane could be faster.  If it is...then wow!

I found these discussions which may help you decide how to proceed.  You can search further too if you want.

Solved: what happend if use intel optane memory+ssd - Intel Community

Is Intel Optane Memory Module with SATA SSD any better? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

HP Recommended

Yes, I was reading on that, found the M10 optain combo, but mem capacity is low, could only find 512

HP Recommended

Please post back and let us know what you decided on.

If you do decide to go with a NVMe SSD, don't go more than a PCIe 3 x 4 model because your PC's M.2 slot is not a Gen 4, unless in the future, you plan on transferring it to a newer model PC that supports PCIe 4.0.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.