Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPZ210 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a new ssd and I decided to instal windows on it and leave my Hard drive for games but after instaling windows on the ssd, when ever I start the computer it shows the message on the picture before boting to the windows.

Any ideas ?20190527_203153.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@YounesQassid99,

Did you leave the original hard drive with the OS (boot file) intact?  It is detecting 2 boot files.

My suggestion. Do not go cheap. Remove the 500GB Seagate hard drive. That will protect the original install.

Purchase a new 500GB or 1 TB WD drive for games.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

windows is installed only on the SSD and before installing the windows on the ssd i cleaned the Hard drive

HP Recommended

@YounesQassid99,

Raid has been evoked. You need to change to AHCI

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Am I going to lose my Data  if i did this methode ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

when I entered the bios ,I found that it's already set to Raid+Ahci and i can only change it to Raid .

HP Recommended

@YounesQassid99,

I am going to ask for added help.

@Paul_Tikkanen  what do you think is wrong?  And would it damage data files if he were to get AHCI ?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi, @wb2001 

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help in this situation, as I have never come across it before.

I have only run single disk installations on my HP business desktop PC's, and I believe the default drive controller setting for some of the Workstations is RAID + AHCI.

For the HP Business Workstations, @DGroves or @SDH have considerably more knowledge and experience than I do.

Perhaps one of them can provide some insight as to the issue.

Paul

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

Thanks Paul. Now you called upon the calvary !!!:Wink:

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

the comments i'm about to make are based on the z600 to 840 systems which i use/maintain i do not have or work on the lower end z systems

the raid+AHCI bios setting is the perfered default, and simply means that the bios/system will auto detect which bios code to use based on the current settings IE- a raid config invokes the raid code and a non raid invokes the AHCI code

the boot screen you posted nooks normal, IE- it shows two drives attached in non raid meaning the AHCI bios is invoked

since the mech drive was a primary bootable drive and the new SSD is now a bootable device, the boot order in the bios screen is very important as it selects which drive is the one that the os will load from as both drives have a windows folder

if possible, you should either remove the mech drive and reinstall windows because if the mech drive is larger or has more free space the windows setup will attempt to place some windows files on the mech drive instead of all windows files being on just the new ssd drive

or if the new SSD is not using the mech drive for some of it's files, you should backup the data on the mech drive and reformat the drive to remove the old windows install files

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.