Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC (3VH40AV)

Hi 

I am trying to help my daughter to find what graphic card she has in her computer (or if she has any....). 

Anf if it is possible to do any upgrades and do someone have any suggestion?

(She is not playing the most advanced games but wants to play CS:GO, GTA and so on) 

OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC (3VH40AV)

What I can find with my limited ability is that the hardware installed are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz

8,00 GB Ram HyperX DDR4

But I can´t see any information about any graphic card but I think it is one installed 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@S-AJ,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Let's start with this:

Type device manager in your Windows Search bar, and left-click on the Device Manager control panel app. You should see something like the following picture. Click on the ">" sign to the left of "Display adapters", and it will show you what graphics device(s) your desktop has:

NonSequitur777_0-1669486646094.png

What does it say?

Second, type cmd in your Windows searchbar, right-click on the Command Prompt App, then left-click on "Run as administrator", and left-click on "Yes".

Then copy/paste and enter:

wmic memorychip get devicelocator, manufacturer, partnumber, capacity, speed, memorytype, formfactor

And you will see something like this:

NonSequitur777_1-1669486714981.png

Let me know what RAM you have installed (likely one 8GB RAM stick with one open slot or 2 x 4GB RAM sticks), and what part number(s) you got.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi ....NonSequitur777 🙂

Thanks

This is what I could find

Graphics:

NVIDIA GFORCE GTX 1060 3GB

Ram:

8GB (with one open slot)

ChannelB-DIMM0

Manufacturer: Kingston 

PartNumber: HP26D4U6S8ME-8X 

Speed: 2666

Should I put in two new ones? Or keep the old one and add a new? Or replace graphic card? etc 🙂

Thanks for the help

S-AJ

HP Recommended

@S-AJ,

All right, because I am at heart a fact/evidence-based individual, and I can't verify your power supply:

NonSequitur777_0-1669489188082.png

Therefore, please verify the wattage (or p/n) of your power supply and if it provides an 8-pin (or 6+2) PCIe power cord.

Secondly, it is highly recommended to have identical RAM installed (brand, model, capacity).

So yes, personally I would recommend purchasing an identical 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury HP26D4U6S8ME-8X RAM stick, which you can buy via eBay such as this example: Kingston HyperX Fury HP26D4U9S8ME-8X 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666XMP/2933 Memory RAM | eBay.

Thirdly, depending on the power supply info, one of many graphics card upgrade options to consider would be an HP (or Dell) branded GTX 1660 Super, which can be purchased very competitively right now via eBay as well: hp NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super for sale | eBay.

Here you can see the difference in graphics performance between the card you currently have and the GTX 1660 Super: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/4056vs3646.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Super 🙂

I will check those ebay links.👍

Took a photo of the power supply and when I look at the cables and ....googled a little I am pretty sure it is a 6+2 😅.

I am starting to understand how it works now (have ignored it all my life.....). Thanks

Power Supply.JPG

HP Recommended

@S-AJ,

Thank you for the show & tell picture -always most helpful.

I had hoped to see that your Obelisk desktop was equipped with the 500-watt power supply version (HP p/n: L20529-001) issued for the HP OMEN Obelisk 875 desktops:

NonSequitur777_0-1669492992031.png

Look, in order to effectively upgrade your desktop, you really should/must upgrade your 300-watt power supply to go beyond a GTX 1060 3GB.  You can buy this Obelisk 500-watt power supply inexpensively via eBay: HP L20529-001 for sale | eBay. If you hurry, so to speak, you can even snatch one for $28.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi again 

Ok. Good to know. Should start to look into that so all the following things work 🙂

Thanks for all the answers. 

Will look through the links later tonight 

/S-AJ

HP Recommended

hi

"(She is not playing the most advanced games but wants to play CS:GO, GTA and so on) "

just a few tips, you take into account or not, but it's just to save you from spending money if not useful
You have indicated here some games, check because it may not be useful to replace the power supply, graphics card...
for the first example:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/counter-strike-global-offensive/11422

read this

Upgrade, for games, what to do...

you had not specified, the model of the computer, it could be the same type

875-0002ns Product Specifications

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-obelisk-desktop-pc-875-1000i/25644598/model/38225652...

already more or less four years old, it can last a few more years, but maybe it will be more advantageous to spend less, and to invest a little later in a more powerful computer if necessary

I could see here models of graphics card already used, also be careful, sometimes they don't work very well, or they won't last long
certainly less expensive, but the risk is there, few possibilities of being refunded the money!!

Maybe just adding some memory would be enough.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

God evening

Ok. I have ordered new memory cards that will be home tomorrow. 

Will test them first before I think of the next step.

/S-AJ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.