Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So now, after my recent thread, my computer is working fine, I want to upgrade my RAM.

HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF
Installed OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Installed RAM: 2x2GB
Brand Name: Kingston
Brand Code: KTH9600B/2G
Size: 2GB
Volts: 1.5V

Specifications:

DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600
1333MHZ Non ECC 240-Pin

Can I use different brand but the same specifications together with the two old ram stick?

So it will be...
DIMM3: 2GB (Old)
DIMM4: 2GB (Old)
DIMM1: 4GB (New)
DIMM2: 4GB (New)

Total: 12GB RAM

Hope it will work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jhun1225,

1 and 3 should be black sockets.  Put the 4GB into those.    See manual page 3-4 and 4-5

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jhun1225,

1 and 3 should be black sockets.  Put the 4GB into those.    See manual page 3-4 and 4-5

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Oh, thank you for your reply @wb2001.

I thought it would be that way.

Thank you for correcting me.

Can you explain it to me why would it be?

Here's my DIMM slot order:

DIMM3 (Black)

DIMM4 (White)

DIMM1 (Black)

DIMM2 (White)

In manual:

Memory Socket Loading

Channel A

Socket 1       Socket 2

Channel B

Socket 3      Socket 4

I'm still confuse about this.

Do every mobo dimm have different order of slots and channels?

HP Recommended

@jhun1225,

The manual states color coded.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

So after seeing again the system information under BIOS, I found out these configurations and you are correct @wb2001

Channel A

XMM1 2048MB / XMM2 2048 MB

Channel B

XMM3 2048 MB / XMM4 0 MB

I thought Black is Channel A and White is Channel B that's why I'm confused.

Thank you again @wb2001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.